Seen & Heard – Weekend Edition

Seen & Heard – Weekend Edition

by mike in boston (@mikeinboston)

What a terrible week in sports and news. I am chasing an interview and thought I might have it done for this week’s column but it will have to wait until next week. Instead, here is some delightfully playful back and forth between some of the city’s  sports media Twitter presences.

Bruce Arthur is an undisputed social media darling in this city and elsewhere. He has endeared himself to blogs far and wide, including this one. If you haven’t checked it out, here is part 1 and part 2 of a Q&A he did with us a few years back. (You can also check out DAMIAN COX’S IF YOU LIKE BEING SHOUTED AT ABOUT HOW HE’D STILL “ASK THE QUESTION” ABOUT BAUTISTA & PEDS IF HE HAD TO DO IT ALL OVER.) Bruce tweeted this out earlier this week

Now, as I’m guessing he didn’t know, James Harrison has a domestic violence arrest on his record though the charges were dropped after he agreed to go to counseling. Others were quick to point this out to Bruce, including Brady of Brady & Walker

Walker later chimed in with a sarcastic reply and was chided for nor being up to speed.

I have gone through the archive and can’t find anything where Arthur either clarified his initial praise of Harrison or walked it back, so I too am in need of catching up. Arthur has been on the good side of most issues, and is a passionate Twitter advocate for gender and same-sex equality. I’m not sure why he didn’t just say that he was unaware of Harrison’s history and move forward. Maybe someone can catch me up on where that happened.

In other Twitterverse news, Grange got a nice tip of the cap from Simmons for his piece on Goodell.

[Trigger Warning: clicking on Sportsnet columns often auto-plays ads with sound]

This is always nice to see, and I wish it happened more often. The empty tribalism that defines today’s Rogers v Bell media war makes losers out of us all. Most of the MSM I speak with are fiercely competitive, and I accept that there will always be a desire to break news ahead of others. But I imagine there was a time where media fought over sources and access and things related to the story, and not over the relative merits of corporations. (for a fun stroll down memory lane, here’s Kypreos on those “fuckers” at TSN).

Good work makes them all look better, just as lazy click-bait makes them all look worse. Glad to see that Simmons is not too proud to give credit where it is due.

Lastly, here’s a blast at Rogers & Bell from a blast from the past:

Happy weekend everyone. Don’t forget to go hand out grades/rankings in last week’s thread.

Thanks for reading and commenting,

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 35
  • comment-avatar
    MattK 5 years ago

Gotta love (sarcasm) when media members like to point out when somebody says/tweets something dumb when they have done many times themselves. It was refreshing to see Steve Simmons tweet, never been a fan of his but being polite/honest/positive is rarely bad.

• comment-avatar

I actually far prefer it when sports talk breaks from the mould. My favourite thing about PTS is when McCown and co discuss big picture/business type stuff like team movement, issues at MLSE, expansion, sports business etc. I’m also a big fan of when Tim/Sid and LeBatard veer from sports entirely and just make lighthearted, funny radio.

• comment-avatar

Grange is one of, if not the only toronto writer that consistently brings new ideas. Most of the other guys just run plays from the play book. I like Kelly but he’s become way too hyperbolic.

• comment-avatar

Notice how people don’t talk much about Arthur’s actual writing? He spends several hours every day trying to get Twitter to love him. That is time that real journalists spend doing journalistic things.

Take away Twitter and he’s just another hack.

Eddy Q 5 years ago

Speaking of Grange …. did anyone catch him on with Bobcat on Tuesday? Bob basically told him he is boring and that no one likes listening to him. Holy shit! That’s pretty harsh. Grange deserves better than that being berated on that sinking ship. My guess is Don Kollins would do something about it … if he actually had authority over Bob.

Jamally 5 years ago

Awful roundtable. If I have to hear Ken FN Reid say “Pucks in deep” I may give on on the entire medium of radio. YOU ARE NOT FUNNY dude! So damn irritating…..is this the best Rogers can do????

• comment-avatar

Bruce Arthur believes himself to be at the level of Michael Grange & Rick Westhead. That is not the case, nor will it ever be. Arthur will reach one million Tweets before any other writer in this or likely any other market and for that I am sure he will turn up his nose while smoking a big, self satisfying cigar. Arthur needs to understand that too much communication communicates less.

• comment-avatar

Coudnl’t disagree more on Arthur. I think he’s the best sportswriter in Canada.

Re McCown and Grange – you guys realize it’s a show/entertainment? McCown says stuff like that to literally every guest or co host he has on. Not meant to be taken seriously.

Eddy Q 5 years ago

How nice of Daniel to share his access into McCown’s brain with the rest of us. For everyone else, you can listen to the audio and make up your own mind. It’s Sept 9th at 4pm. Daniel, of course, doesn’t need to listen to the audio because he has direct access to Bob’s thoughts.

Darrell 5 years ago

I hate the way the FAN’s programming has gone but I personally agree with Spider Jones about the programming now vs. back then. He was a pot mouth always on the radio but his shows were always fun, light hearted shows.

I am sorry the FAN’s programming is full of butt kissers toward the Blue Jays and slipping away from simply talking sports like you are in a restaurant/bar with your buddies.

• comment-avatar

“Bruce Arthur is an undisputed social media darling in this city and elsewhere.”

Really? Maybe a year or so ago, but lately I’ve seen less and less people retweeting his posts and more and more people trashing his articles.

Darrell

I fully agree with you about the Fan, the radio station and TV side is simply a vechile full of Cheerleaders, Brunt, Grange, Wilner, Blair and the defender of all things Rogers Bob Mcowan. These guys make the listening experience terrible. The love affair with John Gibbons from all the personalities on the fan just drives me crazy. Wilner and Mcowan think that a manager never impacts a game it’s all the players. Doesn’t a manager align the defence, select the batting order,send out pinch hitters, change pitchers. How do these area’s not impact the outcome of the game. Please someone put me out of my misery and tell me.

Don River 5 years ago

Eddy Q, Daniel is totally right. It’s all part of McCown’s grumpy shtick. He has been insulting his co-hosts for years. It’s just an act.

Antonio 5 years ago

Arthur is an uninformed douche.

• comment-avatar

For the left-leaning inteligencia on the site, Brunt and Arthur (and a lady) were on CBC Q this morning talking NFL.

Like a parallel universion of PTS where Arthur and not Cox became the other co-host.

Nan Young Lee 5 years ago

That blue Penn State sign looks like it was done by a professional. You’d expect crayon on white cardboard:

Nan Young Lee 5 years ago

“Andrew Walker @FAN590Walker · 6h
    Best addition to SN hockey yet: @FriedgeHNIC 30 thoughts appears every Mon on Sportsnet.ca. Best info out there.”

“Best info out there”? No. That would be this guy:

Maybe Walker was hungover from the wedding.

Antonio 5 years ago

Further evidence Brunt will shill for anything that will or could benefit him: Him slamming anyone who would dare knock the Pam Games.

McCown even called him on it. It was just embarrassing to hear Brunt go on about how the PA games are not any different than the Olympics in terms of quality of entertainment (“unless you’re an aficionado, you can’t tell the difference in PA gymnastics and Olympic gymnastics…”). Just brutal.

As for Walker, he’s almost as bad. He seems like a nice guy so he’ll get away with it for awhile.

• comment-avatar

re Brunt/Pan Am – I was hoping McCown would make a crack about carrying the torch!

Clair A Fye 5 years ago

@Alex Can’t help but notice the irony of your post. “Brunt and Arthur (and a lady) were on CBC Q this morning talking NFL.” A lady? Really? I’m pretty sure that “lady” has a name. You can’t be that dense.

• comment-avatar

It sounds like the noon hockey show on 590 is not starting until October 6…………..in the past it has started much earlier (usually just after Labour Day when the key ratings period begins) and bumped the baseball show back to 11 AM

I guess it made sense for them to stick with the baseball show at noon during September with the Jays somewhat in playoff contention (according to Wilner anyway)………..but I’m surprised they did it given the upcoming debut of the Rogers NHL package

• comment-avatar

Kypreos was absolutely giddy on PTS tonight about his visit to the new CBC HNIC studio – 2nd in North American in size to ESPN’s new studio. He’s been giddy since the day of the big Rogers NHL rights purchase & rightly so. Tectonic plates are about to finish their shift to Rogers. I’m excited about the Sunday national broadcasts – more time for family to gather around the TV and see people from across the country celebrate our national game. ( yes, I know the trivia answer is that Lacrosse is Canada’s national game, whatever).

It will be interesting how the National TV broadcasts leverage the Rogers Fan 590 radio side – could be a serious pile drive to TSN 1050’s ( except for Mike Richards ) moribund ratings.

Kamlesh 5 years ago

While gathered with the family to celebrate the national game get ready to pay through the nose.

Maybe the “pick and pay” will help.

Kamlesh 5 years ago

In this following article Keith Pelley wants hockey documentaries we produce on athletes and heroes be considered as part of Programming of National Interest, a regulatory designation normally reserved for culturally valuable programming.

Meanwhile here’s Edward Rogers decrying tax subsidies.

“Edward Rogers @EdwardSRogers · Jul 7
    Wind Canada needs a strategy besides blaming others for their performance and living off tax payer subsidies.”

“Edward Rogers @EdwardSRogers · Aug 8
    Quebecor doesn’t need Ottawa’s wireless handouts, Telus exec chair Darren Entwistle says”

Also lets kill all the sharks.

“Edward Rogers @EdwardSRogers · Jun 20
    Bad news – Great white shark numbers surging.”

• comment-avatar

thx Kamlesh. I expected that I guess. I just hope my sports ‘packages’ on Bell don’t go from 2 packages to 3. I phoned and said I only wanted TSN & Sportsnet. They said ‘Sports package A has 11 channels you’ve never heard of – and TSN’, ‘Sports package B has 13 channels you’ve never heard of – and Sportsnet’. I guess CBC will be in ‘Sports package C along with the Fishing Channel & the Aquarium Channel for another 25 bucks a month.

But, with 3 nights of Week with An ‘A’ National Broadcast team with high production value vs the current one night a week – I’ll pay.

Drumanchor 5 years ago

Changing the subject just a bit, did anyone hear Brian Cooper on PTS tonight with Bob?

For a guy who I used to think had some smarts, he came across as pathetic!

Defending the believe that there is a solution to the Argos financial woes to the point of being ridiculous. Refusing to acknowledge that there is little to no interest in the team and that there is no one available to step in to stop the never-ending bleeding. Spouted the usual CFL rhetoric that the league will be hard pressed to survive without the Argos and that advertisers will leave in droves without a team in Toronto. Blah, blah.

I refuse to believe any of it, and Bob and Ken Reid were equally as flummoxed by it, as well.

(Also insisted that corporate logos – like soccer and NASCAR – are inevitable for North American sports teams. I may be stubborn this evening, but I also refuse to believe any of that, too.)

Nan Young Lee 5 years ago

Rick Westhead had an article on jersey ads this morning and also talked to Brian Cooper.

Not an unreasonanble quote from Cooper:

“It’s inevitable but will be perceived as a sell out and weakness by the first North American league to do so,” said Brian Cooper, president of S&E Sponsorship Group. “Even though English Premier League, Nascar and Euro hockey have done it. It’s the blatant commercialization of sport. It’s almost too close to the heart of sport.”

Westhead seems to fitting in nicely at TSN. This piece had about 250 comments.

Why were MLB teams scared to sign Melky Cabrera 2 years ago? Was it because they didn’t know how he would perform without PEDs or that he didn’t know how to take them and beat the tests? Does AA suspect Bautista and Encarnacion are on drugs and could show Cabrera how to avoid detection? A Dominican clique perhaps. Is that why he took a chance with Juan Francisco? This Anthopolous is one smart and/or cynical GM.

Some more baseless paranoia. Lots of talk about those NHL jerseys from The Shopping Channel on 590 this week. Who owns The Shopping Channel? Yeah Rogers never tells them what to say. Get ready for chatter about how the Jays show a lot of promise going into next year. Need to get those flex packs under the Christmas tree.

Walker keeps bringing up the fact that original Ray Rice story in the summer didn’t generate the amount of controversy as it is now. But he seems to be drawing the wrong conclusions. Brady keeps stepping in to save him, but Walker is on the verge of saying something awful about the situation one of these days.

What is Edward Rogers problem with Great White sharks? Just stay on that yacht Steve Jobs built for you and everything will be fine.

Sally 5 years ago

Arthur “is a passionate Twitter advocate” …

Not sure if this was meant to be sarcastic or not but I LOL’ed. There’s no more fraudulent “activist” than Bruce Arthur.

• comment-avatar

What is up with the Blair show? This morning, Sept 19 – SEVEN minutes after the hour his show comes on when Macko & Cauz are already half way through a segment. This is a change. For the bad.

• comment-avatar

Over the last few weeks I have noticed that the sports update on 1050 that used to be at the top of each hour is now a minute or two earlier……….I assume the reason for that is so that the first segment can start right at the top of each hour………….590 has been doing that for a while now so I guess 1050 is doing it to make sure 590 doesn’t get a head start on them each hour

• comment-avatar

That Cooper/PTS segment Drumanchor, I can’t figure out if it was great or horrible. McCown was pretty aggressive and Cooper for just kept repeating this line that “stadium will get done” without any financial backing what so ever. What really wanted me to pull my own hair out is how casually he mentions “The government will give some money”. The comfort level and shamelessness of the corporate welfare mentality coming from Cooper was something else.

@Neil, Gibbons must give out the best BBQ’s in the city. All the media LOVE the guy even though last year they flopped in epic proportions and this season had a major collapse. But nope never Good ol’ Gibby fault, let’s give him credit for the bullpen last year, but the bad bullpen this year “well he can’t do anything about that”. This city media (mostly Fan baseball people) think he’s this great manager yet he couldn’t find a job last time he was fired, and I have doubt he will find a job this next time.

BTW, how do you have a 40-man roster and have a pitcher pinch-running and ran out of pitchers in the bullpen like he did in the Boston series earlier this month?

Julian 5 years ago

Brady dropped the line “Gibby’s Gang” referencing the love-in many who cover the Blue Jays have for him. That show’s had some great Blue Jays discussions and though they have notably different viewpoints on who’s good and who isn’t, and what the Blue Jays major issues are. Really intelligent stuff in the mornings, and then leading into Blair, who obviously specializes in baseball. I’m not finding any other insightful talk anywhere about the Blue Jays.

There’s nothing from Tim and Sid besides a lot of jokes and yelling and McCown cares a lot about the Blue Jays but the old school stuff like not understanding “the shift” and rating pitchers by wins is so outdated. What can you do?

Anyway, I agree. I’ve never seen anything like this Gibbons love. There’s no resume. There are no accomplishments of any kind as an MLB manager.