Sunday Night Musings Euro Style

By TSM

Greetings from jolly old England!!!

Funny watching nfl games on sky- the UK cable company with USA play by play guys and uk studio guys. Surprised this model hadn’t been given more consideration in Canada.

Spent the afternoon at a kids bday party. Every father walked around the party on their android watching a football match- European football not nfl.

Serval reliable sources tell me that AA and PB have already been told that hey have enough money available to sign their own guys – no new money. Where that leaves Cabrera is anyone’s guess. There may also be divided opinions on whether Gibbons should come back too.

I have to agree with Steve Simmons in today’s column; the sooner Time Lieweke is gone the better off Toronto will be. His rating in Toronto? Let’s called it a big fat Unfinished. Raptors appear to be in better shape then when he got here. Leafs? Not on ice. Maybe in front office. TFC???? Ummmm you tell me.

As for what to do with Argos? Put them in Oshawa, London Ontario or Barrie where a city will actually care.

Happy Sunday/Monday

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
September 14, 2014 7:38 pm

fold the Argo’s and CFL doesn’t need Toronto will be just fine without it. when and if Toronto get’s a NFL team the team can buy the name Argo’s and bring back the Toronto Argo’s in the NFL.

Nanaman
Nanaman
September 14, 2014 11:20 pm

It really is unfortunate that most Torontonians don’t realize how good the CFL actually is as entertainment.
I admit I used to think folks the league and it wouldn’t matter. Since I was born in the Hammer, I decided to take my son to a game at the whole Ivor Wynn stadium about four years ago. I absolutely fell in love with the whole atmosphere, game and overall Canadiana.

I don’t expect many will change face and give it a kick at the can, but really when most sports fans complain about the salary and attitude of today’s athletes, you’d be better off to try a game anywhere but Toronto.

Tickets are cheap, available and the players are down to earth.

That being said, if you don’t come… It will keep the ticket prices down for me. 😉

Nanaman
Nanaman
September 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Fold the league not folks…

Nanaman
Nanaman
September 14, 2014 11:22 pm

Old not whole…. Sorry

September 15, 2014 1:32 am

The Argos question is pretty interesting. They’re going to have to go somewhere when the Jays put grass in the dome in a couple years. Maybe the other CFL owners and Bell get the 10 mil together needed to make BMO CFL compatible? I guess the question still remains as to who would want to own the Argos at that point though. Maybe Bell for the sake of their CFL TV deal?

I guess on the other hand, if the NFL can be fine without LA, then I don’t see why the CFL couldn’t be fine without the Argos. I think they’ve already lost this market anyway. If somewhere else in Southern Ontario will build them a stadium, more power to them.

Maybe we just have to accept that Toronto is a different sports market from the rest of Canada. It’s not that odd, I suppose. New York doesn’t have the same sports tastes as Jacksonville or Nashville. While most of the rest of Canada seems to be heavy on NHL/CFL/CHL, we’re more NHL/MLB/NBA/NFL/Soccer I guess.

September 15, 2014 1:35 am

I hope ‘having enough money to sign their own guys’ at the very least means payroll will stay the same.

The Jays could probably have enough to resign Melky based on letting Rasmus and Morrow walk. They’ve also got so much cheap young pitching (seemingly), maybe they could trade Buerhle or Dickey and spend that on a 2B.

dave in bolton
dave in bolton
September 15, 2014 3:25 am

Bell should buy the entire league or half of it maybe then a new owner would find it more appealing if its was for only 50% for the Argos. A Bell half owner of the leauge might make the most sense at this point

Don River
Don River
September 15, 2014 3:44 am

The Argos get much better TV ratings than the Raptors, totally destroy TFC ratings, and compare favourably with the Jays. I still think MLSE will end up buying the Argos, but if not something will happen to keep them in Toronto.

September 15, 2014 4:06 am

Yeah, but every CFL game has two Canadian markets measured in those ratings. I think the majority of the viewers have got to be CFL fans out west or fans of the opposing team. Plus, in comparing to other sports, they only play 18 games.

But I hear what you’re saying. People definitely love the CFL in most of this country. I know it gets great ratings. Maybe it’s somewhat anecdotal, but I just don’t see even remote interest in this city.

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
September 15, 2014 5:09 am

McCown alleges the Argos have only 3000 season tickets. The CFL may be able to take over the team and keep them playing at Varsity or York U, without having to pay $20 million or more for a renovated or new stadium. That may be a better option than trying to move them to a place where the CFL, junior hockey, country music, and mullets are more popular with a higher percentage of the population.

September 15, 2014 11:55 am

My favourite Tim Leiweke comments (and there have been several to choose from) involved the Raptors

When he fired Colangelo he said this: “This team just missed the playoffs badly and doesn’t have a first round draft pick. That is unfathomable to me”

Then, when the Raptors were having a much better than expected season, he said this: “Kyle Lowry is an incredible player. The Maple Leafs need players who play like Kyle Lowry does”

Someone probably should have told Mr. Leiweke that the reason why the Raptors didn’t have a first round pick in the 2013 draft is because they traded it for the guy he loves so much (Lowry)

Nanaman
Nanaman
September 15, 2014 1:30 pm

@ Mullahkintyre…

That’s exactly my point… If you believe the CFL is only for country listening, mullet sporting, junior hockey lovers, then you’re only doing yourself a disservice. As a devout Muslim who sports a long beard, your description couldn’t be further from the truth. I agree some fans do fit your description, however it would only serve to show you that the country bumpkins are smart enough to realize outstanding value for their entertainment dollar.

Don River
Don River
September 15, 2014 4:31 pm

“I think the majority of the viewers have got to be CFL fans out west or fans of the opposing team. Plus, in comparing to other sports, they only play 18 games.”

Prove it.

And by that logic, Argo-Ticat games should draw something like half the ratings of Argo games versus West teams. They don’t.

And so what if they “only” play 18 games?

September 15, 2014 4:59 pm

@DonRiver

I’m just guessing that the CFL audience must be mostly based in places other than Toronto, based on the fact that there seems to be so few CFL fans in the city. Totally circumstantial, I admit. I dunno, maybe I’m wrong! Do people watch in the 905 maybe?

As for the 18 game thing – if you’re comparing team interest based on ratings, it’s not exactly apples v apples to look at the audience of one game, because the Argos play so few. If the Raptors are averaging 150,000 viewers (lets say) – that’s happening 82 times a year. Meanwhile the Argos are only play 18. If the Raptors played 18 times a season I imagine a lot more viewers could make sure to tune in each time out.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
September 15, 2014 8:56 pm

part of ratings is from bars as well not just people’s homes so lots of bars in Toronto that when nothing is on aka friday nights they keep the CFL game on in the background so let’s not look at house holds. CFL ratings are over rated.

Don River
Don River
September 15, 2014 9:32 pm

Part of ratings is NOT from bars. It’s all home viewing. They sometimes estimate bar viewers for big events, but not for your typical top 10/20/30 ratings.

Nanaman
Nanaman
September 15, 2014 10:42 pm

It’s quite sad how many people hate on the CFL for actually having surprisingly high ratings. On a side note, the CFL has a following in u.s. colleges, as many of the former stars at major colleges play ball in Canada now.

Most Torontonians and gta’rs think that they are nobody until the u.s. acknowledges or accepts them… Quite the inferiority complex!

Mike V
Mike V
September 16, 2014 6:27 am

Actually, since the ratings system moved to using PPM all out of home viewing is included. I don’t get the argument that this overrates CFL games but not other sports events though.

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
September 16, 2014 8:54 am

Just from looking through windows as I walk past bars and restaurants, I don’t remember ever seeing CFL games on any screens.
And grow up with the trolling whining about “hating on”. Do people in Toronto also “hate” junior hockey, roller hockey, indoor soccer, every other attempt at pro soccer before TFC, arena football, and every other sport (or any other form of entertainment for that matter) that doesn’t get as much attention as it wanted?

Curt
Curt
September 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Personally, I find football (CFL or NFL) borderline unwatchable. Commercials crammed in whenever there’s a stoppage – and there are a lot. It’s really annoying when they come back from a break as the ball is being snapped, with no chance for the viewer to settle in even for a second or two. Then, 3 or 4 seconds later, when the play is finished, it’s time for a another commercial break. Too annoying for me. Sorry, rant over.

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
September 16, 2014 6:22 pm

Most of the CFL TV viewers are in western Canada, as evidenced by the TV broadcasts having some sponsors that are only in western provinces. Until about two or three years ago, BBM would issue lists of Top 30 TV shows of the week for individual markets, and CFL games would routinely make the lists for Edmonton and Calgary (sometimes even in the top 10), yet were nowhere to be seen in the lists for Toronto and Quebec.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
September 17, 2014 1:11 am

Even though there is truth to that there are still other issues with the CFL. With 6 of 8 teams making the playoffs that means few of the regular season games mean anything. Even the NHL has this problem with half the teams making the playoffs. With only so much sport one can watch each week glorified exhibition games that last 3 hours just don’t make the cut for most people, especially in summer. Also, the bigger the city the more competition for one’s entertainment dollar so the CFL has its work cut out for it.

CanCon
CanCon
September 17, 2014 11:43 am

Well said, another Andrew. Good points.

My contention is with those who claim to be football fans and then claim NFL or bust. Obviously, they have a right to this sentiment. But then don’t go trashing the CFL thinking it is the raison d’etre for the failure to land an NFL team.

I have lived in the GTA all my life, and it appears most Torontonians associate more with the U.S. culture than the rest of Canada. They may not verbally articulate their association, but their actions, style and mannerisms are more urban Americana.

This Americanization is very evident in our schools…however, it’ll be interesting to see if the proliferation of media (esp. The internet) will cause this to spread to other areas of the country beyond the GTA.

FMW
FMW
September 19, 2014 6:18 pm

I don’t like the CFL, but I really like the NFL. I find that a lot of CFL fans just can’t accept some people just don’t like the CFL game and want to make up some straw man argument (anti Canadian, American media influence) I’ll speak for me personally, I gave CFL a chance, there just too many reasons I can’t get into it.

-Another Andrew hit a big one, 75% of an eight/nine team league make the playoffs. Makes the regular season kind of pointless. The NFL every game really matters, you lose the first two games, it matters in the NFL.
-I don’t like the rules. The single point is okay, but the three-downs, wide field, the men in motion. It feels like watching dudes in the park playing 4 on 4. I like the contact and tight battles of the NFL game
-The athletes are just not that great, I see bad drops, bad passes, constantly in the CFL game and let’t not even get into the refs.

I never hear anybody say “If you like NFL, you have to like Arena football” So not sure why an NFL fan needs to like the CFL. It’s a different game, if you like it, cool. I am just not a fan.

CanCon
CanCon
September 19, 2014 9:55 pm

@fmw
I would disagree. I think most NFL fans think the American game is better and more often then not, it appears that it’s just because it is bigger on terms of $$, size, etc.

Both games are completely different, I would argue the complete opposite to your points as to why the CFL game is better… No need. Different strokes for different folks…

Jamally
Jamally
September 20, 2014 11:40 am

It’s hard for me to get jazzed up for what I’ve been programmed for years to be inferior football or a tier 2/3 league. It’s the same way I can’t take MLS seriously.

If someone says BC is playing the Argos, I have no interest. In the same, I don’t care about TFC playing FC Arkansas or LA Galaxy, or whatever random MLS team.