Do Americans Do Thanksgiving Better?

By TSM

Having lived in both the USA and Canada for extended periods of time, I’m often asked to articulate the differences between life in both.

I only know the way my friends and family celebrate Thanksgiving so I don’t mean to offend by painting with a wide brush but to me one of the big differences I’ve experienced is how Thanksgiving is celebrated.

Yes Turkey and stuffing are common in both – however the whole attitude towards and just how the whole world seem to shut down south of the border and watch football.

Have you taken part in thanksgiving in both? What say you?

In my opinion Thanksgiving is one of the only things that’s truly better in the USA these days.

Brian K
Brian K
November 28, 2014 10:17 am

I almost completely agree… the only thing that’s wrong about American Thanksgiving is that it’s too close to Xmas and seems to overshadow it a bit down there. So the perfect T-giving would be American-style, but in October.

Steve in Waterloo
Steve in Waterloo
November 28, 2014 10:22 am

Just returned from two weeks in the USA.
The build up towards Thanksgiving is incredible, BUT so much seems to be about shopping.

If I never hear another Black Friday ad….

Observation on traveling on Thanksgiving in the US: Everyone says “Happy Thanksgiving”, but do so while on their way to the mall to shop at 10AM?

I commented to my wife after crossing the border – “We do it better, we shut it down for a day and let family be together.”

Funny you should ask when I log on today…

Steve Clark
November 28, 2014 12:20 pm

From a sporting perspective, US does it way better, even though you get three lousy Thursday football games instead of one! Plus, today there is a fairly full slate of hockey too.

I too hate the commercialization of “Black Friday” It’s just pure madness and stupidity, and I feel bad for those who are forced to work on Thanksgiving to prepare for a bunch crazed shoppers.

Antonio
Antonio
November 28, 2014 1:50 pm

@Brian K
Totally agree. It seems that the media in the US make a bigger deal with (or at least talk about it more) Tks-giving than they do with Christmas.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
November 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Maybe the CFL should start its season earlier then end with a Canadian Thanksgiving Grey Cup Final?

Bobby G
Bobby G
December 6, 2014 12:38 am

The U.S. Thanksgiving is better but Christmas is superior in Canada. It barely an afterthought down there.