Sunday Toronto Sports Media Thoughts

By TSM

Things that made me go hmmmmm as I flew home from Seattle this morning at 8am PST:

Interesting timing for the Jeff Blair’s blog post last week on one Brett Lawrie don’t ya thing???

Did you feel the nuke lobbed over the radio waves from Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun – who regularly appears on the TSN 1050 radio airwaves at the Fan 590’s Bob McCown?:

I wonder if Bob McCown read his own book. In the bestselling 100 Greatest Hockey Arguments, McCown makes a case against Paul Henderson’s inclusion in the Hockey Hall of Fame. A strong case. Lately, he has been pushing the Henderson Hall of Fame agenda. Strange

Bob isn’t one to shy away from a “challenge” I’d listen in to the early portions of his show this week for him to be asked and then respond to the comment.

Still with Simmons, I loved this comment:

The Leafs have discovered the optional morning skate. It’s a clever way of media avoidance in a town with way too much media.

So true don’t ya think?

I mean the way too much media part not the optional skate bit…

While in Seattle this long weekend I listened intently to the media drama about all things Lynch. It seemed oh too familiar. It seemed oh so much like Phil Kessel. No, I am not comparing the players, but rather two guys who are reluctant to have microphones in their faces day after day yet have to face microphones in their faces day after day.

My conclusion is quite simple. The ever present presence of the media is killing sports. Or, more specifically, my love for and interest in sports. There is so much coverage it’s gotten to be too much. Round the clock, on tv, on the radio, twitter, facebook, online, offline it never stops. Every shift, every pitch, snap, etc is analyzed to death. I don’t think the media is doing a bad job. I think the problem is there isn’t enough to cover and the drive to break the big story is so big that we are now drowning in too much information. It’ now overkill.

25-30 media types at every leaf practice. When something happens? Double or triple it.

For me anyway, it’s too much.

Nice article on the passing of Pat Quinn by Stephen Brunt. I’m not sure why Brunt is being used so sparingly these days, the Canadian sports media misses the columnist BADLY. Why the words “This column appears in the _______ edition of Sportsnet magazine” have to appear in almost everything I see that Brunt writes, but I can say I miss reading his work more regularly in a more common forum.

Did you watch the Grey Cup? No, not a slam at the CFL- just a question.

If you haven’t seen Gone Girl yet you are missing out on a great psychological thriller!

Happy Monday.

Darrell
Darrell
November 30, 2014 11:23 pm

I know this is not remotely directly related to anything listed above, but job well done to the Toronto Maple Leafs on the tribute to Pat Quinn. I hope the FAN 590 + TSN 1050 both give MLSE props for a job well done! Yes their hockey team is a mess on the ice for many years but it was a job well done on that tribute! Amazing song choice!

lister
lister
December 1, 2014 10:57 am

With regards to Simmons, McCown and his opinion on Henderson getting into the HHoF, opinions can change over time. The book came out in 2007. Rather silly for Simmons to bring that up.

Now what’s a little more concerning to me was the change of opinion for when Russell Martin was signed. The day of the signing McCown was meh on him and the non-impact on the Jays. The next day or two when I listened to PTS he was glowing about the signing. A change of opinion after some thought and research? Likely. It demonstrates to me a really surface knowledge (which many here have posted about before.)

Steve Clark
December 1, 2014 2:58 pm

I am on board with TSM’s opinions around the 24/7 endless news cycle around sports teams, in particular the Maple Leafs. Everything is scrutninized to the point of redundancy and exhausion. That said, I understand where both sports radio stations are coming from. Love them or hate them, the Leafs drive content in this market. Rogers has 5B invested in hockey, and a lot of regional/national/radio Leaf games. TSN has half the radio and regional content. Add into that social media and you get non-issues like post-game salutes getting exhaustive attention.

I cover a junior team and an AHL team and its much more relaxed and controlled. Sure when a team gets into a tail spin you get some grousing. On the whole the content is controllable and you do not feel overwhelmed with information overload.

Darren K Johnston
Darren K Johnston
December 1, 2014 6:44 pm

Just wondering if there is any way to get posts from this site for both MIB & TSM sent to email addresses? Like with the Canada Sports Media Site?

mike (in boston)(@mikeinboston)
December 2, 2014 8:54 am

Darren – let me look in to that. In the meantime, the site has an RSS feed.

mario
mario
December 2, 2014 11:41 am

Thanks for the info and welcome back TSM glad to see your back writing on a regular bases.Always enjoyed the read and MIB as well.

Darren K Johnston
Darren K Johnston
December 2, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Darren K Johnston
Darren K Johnston
December 2, 2014 12:34 pm

This may be a dumb question, but where do I register?

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
December 3, 2014 1:53 pm

I heard that Kars4kids commercial on PTS yesterday. But thankfully only once, not the 50 times an hour it airs on WFAN (or used to, haven’t listened for a couple years.

Why did CFL-trolling Damien Cox not mention the Grey Cup ratings? For some reason he has also stopped tweeting about the Sportsnet hockey ratings since the opening week. Although I agree with him on this take.

“Damien Cox @DamoSpin · Dec 1
The possibility of AA fleecing Billy Beane seems remote.”

Chris Rock explains why “Anchorman” is harder to do than “Gone Girl”, and why Obama is not Jordan but Shaq or Barkley.

alex
alex
December 3, 2014 6:34 pm

I had the same thought when i heard that kars for kids jingle.