Would You Listen To Talk Radio More Often On FM?

By TSM

Happy Friday!

On all my travels of late, the one thing I notice the most while in the USA is how many markets now have FM based talk radio and sports talk radio stations.

This hasn’t here due to the crazy ownership regulations the government has in place and I wonder if the law is actually killing interest by discouraging better content and distribution.

Their are laws here on how many stations a company can operate in a given market and because the fm stations do well there is no pressure to go to talk format when the radio model is working.

It appears the fm talk model is thriving in the USA and here we are stuck on am.

Any thoughts on whether you’d listen more if talk radio was on fm or if sports radio was on fm?

I think I’d listen more.

Happy Friday!

alex
alex
December 5, 2014 10:42 pm

I dont listen to any radio via actual radio anymore.

Only streaming, be it in the usa, canada or the uk.

rob j
rob j
December 5, 2014 10:51 pm

These days its all about the podcast

KK
KK
December 5, 2014 11:16 pm

i know I would listen more if sports talk was on FM. Most new phones have an FM tuner and that makes it much more palatable to listen to the radio while walking about town. My data plan is limited so streaming isn’t an option for me unfortunately. In the future maybe streaming would win but I think now, an FM.based sports talk station would do well.

Neal
Neal
December 5, 2014 11:55 pm

AM frequencies can cover a larger geographical area than their FM counterparts. Combine that with the ownership restrictions of 2 AM outlets and 2 FM outlets and there you have the reason why talk radio is relegated to AM stations.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
December 6, 2014 12:38 am

FM is preferable, no doubt, but it does not trump the actual content itself, which is paramount. Would I listen more? I doubt it, although it would make the listening experience more pleasurable.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
December 6, 2014 1:37 am

TSN radio should try on FM can’t hurt to try

December 6, 2014 3:56 am

I listen mostly on podcast now, and when I listen in the car the AM signal doesn’t deter me at all.

That said, I was on a road trip with a friend to the US recently, and he was scanning FM in the car and came across an FM sports station. He literally said ‘this is cool. I wish we had something like this at home’. He’s a super casual sports/radio fan, but clearly AM stations aren’t even on his radar. So maybe for some it matters.

Baz
Baz
December 6, 2014 8:19 am

I’m 95% podcasts now, due to shift work. However, I would love for them to switch to FM. I have listened to certain CBC Radio shows on FM, and prefer it by a mile.

Trevor
Trevor
December 6, 2014 9:45 am

It wouldn’t make a difference either way for me. These days podcasts are the way for me to get caught up on the key shows I listen to or select interviews that interest me. Between work and kids I don’t have a chance to listen to more than 10 mins here or there live.

Dan Sys
Dan Sys
December 6, 2014 10:27 am

Fact of the matter is that with a few exceptions Talk & Sports stations on FM in the U.S. are taking a beating in the ratings these days and many of them are reverting back to playing music.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
December 6, 2014 10:52 am

Two words. TuneIn radio. I stream it at home and in the car. Ever try to listen to AM on St Clair with the streetcar wires? Plus it’s that much more clear everywhere.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
December 6, 2014 4:17 pm

I would listen more when I’m in the car as the FM stations don’t have the annoying crackling sound that sometimes makes turn off AM talk radio.

December 6, 2014 7:33 pm

@Dan sys – I was under the impressions US sports stations were paying millions to switch to FM? I think I read that WFAN paid $50 million to go to FM a few years ago? I know that station isn’t struggling..

Ian
December 6, 2014 11:19 pm

For me personally, no – my presets are all AM talk stations, and I usually cycle through the Toronto sports talk stations anyway.

Petti
Petti
December 7, 2014 11:27 pm

Satellite radio, podcasts or AM sports, no use for FM anymore.

Steel_Wind
Steel_Wind
December 16, 2014 10:56 pm

I listen via Tune-in or streaming, every day. On the very few occasions I have reverted to actual AM band radio, I am shocked at how poor the sound quality is.

I also listen to Leafs Lunch as a podcast stream on the way home. Since they got that working nicely, my PTS listening has essentially vanished. Friday Round Table, 2nd hour — that’s the only PTS I listen to anymore.

Leafs Lunch has turned out to be brilliant this year. The chemistry is sooo good. Most entertaining radio I have ever heard.