Seen & Heard – Weekend Edition

photo credit: Twitter

by mike in boston / @mikeinboston / hatemailaccount at gmail

Good morning sports media fans. This will be my last post before Xmas, so let me take this opportunity to wish all of you Happy Holidays. Thank you for reading and commenting and for helping make this place a lively and interesting forum for discussion. I’ll do a proper thank you next week before we close out 2014.

Athletes & Social Protest

Two statements defined the previous era in the NBA when it came to social activism. Charles Barkley famously told people that he was “not a role model” for their children and Michael Jordan explained his silence on political issues by saying that “Republicans buy shoes too.”

These statements stand in stark relief with the comportment of many of today’s stars. The high profile killings of blacks at the hands of mostly white police officers who were subsequently not indicted has ignited a fire of social commentary on race relations in America. Rather than shying away from being part of the conversation many athletes are using their standing as public figures to convey their opinions, either through their words or by their deeds.

Personally, I think this is a good thing. Sports is a great unifier because it builds bridges across even the widest of chasms. Shared fandom washes out differences in wealth, class, race, education, and to a lesser extent gender. The most meaningful social and political change black athletes can effectuate is to speak to their fans about the obstacles they face in society. These obstacles are invisible to most of their white fans because these people never face them. As with most political matters it is not until you or someone you know experiences injustice that one is motivated to do something about it.

Things are mostly better in Canada compared to the U.S. where being poor and black is equivalent to a life sentence. The incarceration and high school graduation rates are shocking, as is the lack of access to decent schools and social services. Most of us don’t experience these flaws in the system, and this is where high profile athletes have a role to play. It’s one thing when a politician stands up and says that we need to do something about racial inequality. It’s another when your favourite player talks about his life experiences.

Bruce Springsteen alienated lots of his fans by campaigning for Obama. Many people complained along the lines of “I don’t see why he needs to talk about his political views … I listen to him for his music, not his politics.” My suspicion is that Springsteen lost very few fans over his activism. The same will be true of sports. People are fans first, and it would take a lot for them to stop cheering.

All of that said, social activism is a minefield. Most of these issues are complex and it’s easy to make missteps, especially if you are trying to rush to Twitter to deliver a hot take. I’m sure we will see high profile athletes get the facts wrong, support someone who turns out to be very guilty, or just generally embarrass themselves when trying to make things political. But hopefully that won’t dissuade others from speaking out. It’s risky, but it’s a risk worth taking. Few people have the kind of reach that star athletes do. I’m glad some of them are realizing the kind of power they wield on and off the field of play.

If you have time for one article on this issue try out Vice Sports. They are quickly emerging as the mainstream alternative. If you have time for a second article, The Star’s Raju Mudhar wrote well about it last week.

Quick Hits

Howard Berger lobbed some bombs at the hockey media over their treatment of Leafs goalie Jonathan Bernier who apparently thought that Nelson Mandela was a pro-athlete. Howard writes: “Given that Bernier was so far off the mark in his comments about the late South African anti–apartheid leader, it would have been uncomfortable to steer him in the proper direction. But, any reporter with a shred of credibility and compassion could easily have done so and spared Bernier the ignominy of his recorded gaffe.”

Awful Announcing has a review of the highs and lows of the year in sports media. I found Ken Fang’s comments on sports radio interesting: “[T]he sports radio genre which had so much potential when it began in the 1980’s is fast becoming a vast wasteland of hosts who say the absolute dumbest things. Either thinking what they’re saying is guy radio or the hosts aren’t thinking at all, sports radio has become absolutely unlistenable. There are some exceptions and there are good hosts across the country if you know where to listen, however, those hosts who say the dumbest things in order to go viral or to think they’re funny sully the entire industry and that’s too bad.”

Rick Westhead delivers some more excellent sports journalism on the state of sports gambling and potential changes to the law. One of the arguments he considers is whether legalizing sports gambling would help curb match fixing and point shaving, since it would be easier to see unusual betting activity on a game. I’m curious if there is data to support this hypothesis. If there is, leagues might actually have a reason to back legal gambling, namely that it would help them uphold the integrity of their games.

The Airing of the Grievances

At this time of year many people are preparing to celebrate Festivus, which as you know rests on two core pillars: 1) the feats of strength, and 2) the airing of the grievances. In this space we will focus on the second of these tenets. In Frank Costanza’s immortal words, “I’ve got a lot of problems with you people …” but I have forced myself to pick my top two grievances from the past year.

1) PTS — I’m not sure what is going on with the leadership of the FAN’s signature show but it is unlistenable on far too many days. The guests continue to be topnotch on a week to week basis, but the host and co-hosts seem to treat the show as a social club more than a radio program far too often. I know the competition over at TSN has failed to register an audience but the comparison is night and day. One show features real journalists talking about sports while the other is a mess of television and Twitter personalities trying to top each other’s jokes. The good news is that it would take very little to fix what is wrong with the show. But that will require standards, and Bob has not imposed those on PTS for a long time now.

2) Cathal Kelly —  At a time when the talent pool in sports writing at the papers is so thin good writing really stands out. I had high hopes that he would fill Stephen Brunt’s shoes and become the intellectual voice of the nation on sports issues. But far too often his columns are lazy click bait, half-baked premises, or just straight up trolling. Every now and then he delivers some thoughtful pieces but that’s the exception to the rule. I’m not sure what the people at the Globe were hoping for when they chose him instead of, say Bruce Arthur, but the results have been very disappointing. The Globe is squandering an opportunity here.

Those are my grievances, what are yours?

Low Hanging Fruit

• Kate Beirness returned to TSN Drive as a co-host and did a nice job. One piece of constructive criticism: radio segments are much longer than TV ones so it’s just fine to slow down. There is no need to speak a mile a minute. There is also no need to try to make all your sentences into sound bytes.

• Steve Simmons guest hosted for Naylor. He’s a natural. The host role suits him well. I’ll never cease to be amazed at how his radio personality is so radically different from his Twitter life.

• I can’t for the life of me understand people who are upset that AA didn’t make trades at the winter meetings. That prompted endless boring call-in segments this week. There are still several weeks before spring training and relievers are the easiest commodity to acquire.

• I’m going to try to listen to radio this week but I suspect all the stations will be mailing it in. Doug Farraway used to do these “year in review” taped programs which were OK the first time around but would end up being repeated endlessly over the holidays.

• The fall ratings book is out. TSM and I are working on getting the complete results for you.

—–

thanks for reading and commenting,

until next time …

mike (not really in boston)

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
December 20, 2014 11:11 am

Mike In Boston, thanks for all you do for this site. I would love for you to post the stats on your Weekend “Seen & Heard” in terms of views, repeat views, unique visitors, etc. as I am sure you have quite the following developed.

My only complaint is that due to your travelling we can’t guarantee one every weekend. That only reinforces how much you are missed when it’s not there.

Happy Holidays!

Wayne
Wayne
December 20, 2014 11:33 am

Great perspective and well written as usual. Always gives us something to ponder.
I too am disappointed in PTS! I think using Ken Reid as a co host has really dumbed down the show, and I’ve stopped listening to the show, when he’s on.mshannon is ok occasionally but he’s on too often as well. The show misses Cox and Brunt (where is Brunt anyway)?
Right on about Kelly. He was so promising at the Star was a go to read every article.nsince he switched to the Globe I’ve stopped reading as it’s terrible writing! Not sure why! Toronto sports writers of the new generation has clearly dropped a level!
Naylors show is by far superior even when he is away. Simmons as a fill in is great.
I’m not sure what it will take to over take PTS but I hope it does and soon!

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
December 20, 2014 1:05 pm

I have to admit PTS has taken a dive. Read is so unlistenable that I won’t listen when he is on. Every second comment is all jokey, but never funny. And his skills as an interviewer are horrid. Given that SN has most of the countries sports personalities on staff surely there are better choices. And I also have to agree there is way to much buddy banter. At times you wouldn’t know the show is about sports. Even the round table loses its focus far too often. And listening to endless winery comments and other personal minutia is just dull and self serving. Maybe after all these years of Bob telling listeners to turn the dial if they don’t like it they will.

In the broader context I think that sports radio is what it has always been, a jockish boys clubs where the hosts rarely impart anything of import. Harken back to the earlier days of the Fan. It was guys like Hogan and Rumack. Hardly intellectual radio but given the topic no ones expecting it. So sure everyone’s looking to move up thus they say things to get attention. It worked for Tim and Sid to get over to the Fan. And the fact they are as much entertainment as sports is because the depth of interesting topics just isn’t there.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
December 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Rather than shying away from being part of the conversation many athletes are using their standing as public figures to convey their opinions, either through their words or by their deeds.

Personally, I think this is a good thing

It’s only a good thing if they know what they are talking about and care about the truth. Unfortunately there is little to indicate that the athletes care about either. The whole putting your hands up in the air and saying don’t shoot is illustrative. It indicates that they are ignorant of the basic facts of the Michael Brown shooting or they don’t believe in the forensic science behind any of the three autopsies. (It is really disturbing how so many Americans of both the left and right are rejecting science in favour of comfortable political narratives that keep them in a state of ignorance). Most athletes are, as McCown has said, as dumb as a post so rather than adding to the content of important discussions they are more likely to just reinforce established corporate media narratives.

Cathal Kelly — At a time when the talent pool in sports writing at the papers is so thin good writing really stands out. I had high hopes that he would fill Stephen Brunt’s shoes and become the intellectual voice of the nation on sports issues. But far too often his columns are lazy click bait, half-baked premises, or just straight up trolling.

Agreed. As someone who speaks with an Irish accent I also resent his Plastic Paddyism.

Baz
Baz
December 20, 2014 3:57 pm

As much as I hate listening to an athlete interview, I think the reason why, may be the questions being asked. Benign question = mundane answer.

Sam
Sam
December 20, 2014 4:21 pm

I only listened to Simmons for a bit but thought he was quite good. Where the hell is Grange! Even he would be better than Reid.

December 20, 2014 5:03 pm

Yeah. Fixing PTS seems simple to me too.

When Bob has a co-host who’s a bit more on the intellectual side – or at least uses modern analysis, and is knowledgable and up to date on all four sports – it works beautifully. Bob can bluster on and say something out of date like ‘he’s not good, he’s a .500 pitcher’, then the cohost wryly corrects him/keeps him in check, then Bob bristles at the cohost. It works! Brunt, Friedman, or even Grange and Blair do this very well I think.

When you pair Bob with someone out of touch, not knowledgeable about all sports, or equally blustery without the knowledge to back it up – it’s terrible. Obvious guys in this category are SHANNON (!), Reid, Cox and Seixeiro to a degree. (Although I think Bob and Sid are pretty funny together when they talk about randon non sports crap).

December 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Someone at Rogers should try to get Brunt out of his TV work (or whatever takes up his time), and just ask him to be full time PTS cohost. Give him the summer’s off, whatever. The show is just so, so much better when he’s Bob’s foil.

This seems to be just about the unanimous opinion on this. Make it happen, somebody!

Too Much
Too Much
December 20, 2014 7:50 pm

Agree with Raptors Devotee: Mike In Boston, thanks for all you do for this site.

Also agree with comments on Simmons, he was very good as host this week; it surprised me. I tune in far more to Naylor’s show now than PTS.

December 20, 2014 8:26 pm

I think the last time Brunt was co-host on PTS was the last week of October………….it has been a long 7 weeks for PTS since then

This is the first year where they used Brunt as PTS co-host for several weeks in a row in Sept/Oct (although he did miss many days because of “other duties”) and then not at all for the last several weeks………..I’m not a big fan of this change…………….in the past you could always tolerate a non-Brunt week on PTS because you knew he would probably be back the next week…………the show is substantially better when he is on

When Rogers bought 590 more than 10 years ago and put PTS on television I was worried that they would use it to try and cross-promote their Sportsnet “personalities” and that’s pretty much what has happened…………Ken Reid is just the latest example, unfortunately

alex
alex
December 20, 2014 9:18 pm

The sad thing i bet the ratings are probably fairly consistant, regardless of co-host. I presume your average listener doesnt care if its brunt or shannon or cox or reid etc.

All of that complain about reid or sid or shannon are likely a statistical blip, esp those of us not even in Toronto and/or Canada.

Ryan
Ryan
December 21, 2014 7:52 am

Agree with everybody re: PTS. Not sure what is going on there but the show hasn’t been great fora a while now.

My biggest issue with the Fan 590 over the last 2 months is the incessant talk about the Edmonton Oilers. I understand they just fired Eakins and that deserved *some* attention. However, even before the firing, PTS and Tim and Sid talked about the team incessantly. I get that Rogers is all HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY, right now but do people in Toronto really care about Edmonton that much?

mickey b
mickey b
December 21, 2014 8:25 am

Thank you for such great work on this website. Mike in Boston, you’re first class all the way. Here’s my vent and last time I hope that I feel the need to get this off my chest…
Rogers/HNIC production…I know I’m beating a dead horse with this but it is both sad and frustrating to see the low that this production has sunk to. Positive thing, the set looks amazing. Unfortunately this can’t make up for the horrendous jobs that many personalities on this show are doing. Easy and obvious targets are Dave Randorf and Paul Romanuk doing play by play. These guys are suited for Spengler Cups and Junior A challenges at best. I’m not sure who would argue otherwise or how. Moving on as although they simply aren’t very good, they seem like nice enough guys and don’t bother me that much… just sad to see HNIC deciding to water down their production with these guys calling main games.

I have done my best recently to avoid the intermission and pre and post game commentary. At first it was hilarious to watch some of the broadcasters but that joke is old now. True story here, a few weeks ago I was at a packed sports bar watching the leafs game. George and Nick came on and a few guys started yelling at the bar staff to change the channel since they couldn’t watch those guys (and I’m saying this nicely here). Once the channel was changed to a college football game for the rest of the intermission, the whole bar cheered. I play with a few beer league groups and the talk is consistently on how bad George, Damien, and Nick are. Never heard a positive thing about their work. Here’s my thoughts on them…
Damien- feel terrible for Elliotte Friedman having to sit with him delivering headlines or whatever. Does anyone really think Elliotte doesn’t already know anything that Damien ever contributes? Getting any hockey info. from the smug looking Damien is laughable. I’ wouldn’t believe a word he says until I heard it from someone credible. No need at all for him and all I ever hear is how he rubs people the wrong way.
Nick- smart guy as he knew how to change his game to make a decent career in the NHL and obviously even smarter for sustaining a career in broadcasting despite not contributing much of anything that’s intelligent. Without getting into it here, his comments along side Hrudey last night were embarrassing to anyone who actually followed Nick’s career. Maybe he thinks he’s only talking to kids young enough to not know who he was in his NHL career but wow, I’m thinking Kelly must’ve been cringing on the inside. It was terrible.
Lastly, George… Nice guy. I used to see him at a lot of concerts and he always said hi to our group and have a bit of a chat. No personal thing against him at all. He lost his whole Queen west credibility years ago when he tried the CNN thing. He lost any credibility whatsoever when he went to Rogers. His whole act is an embarrassment on HNIC and I feel really bad for him making such an ass of himself. I know he’s a hard worker and is really trying but wow…I’ve never in my life heard such derogatory comments about a broadcaster than I do about him. Believe it or not, I’ve cut short my examples and comments about Nick and George since I’ve ranted long enough but I think I’ve gotten my vent across…
Luckily for me, there’s world juniors, nfl, and college bowl season to keep my attention away from the terrible rogers broadcasts for the next month or so. Last thing I do want to say, is that if the BBC (or whoever broadcasts Premier League games in the UK) ever watered and dumbed down their productions like Rogers has done to hockey, it wouldn’t last 2 weeks before proper changes were made. I know Guy probably doesn’t know a thing about hockey but if someone could equate that for him to soccer broadcasts……Thanks for the opportunity for way too long of a rant. Cheers

Ron H.
Ron H.
December 21, 2014 9:49 am

I may be in the minority, but I am a fan of Damien Cox. Up until he blocked me from Twitter for critizing the Rogers produced hockey telecasts & asking him where are all the opinions of Sportsnet personalities? All they do is retweet each other. Corporate Kool-Aid. I find it comical that he blocked me. You may not have liked what Damien said or tweeted, but he was honest. I’m sure Rogers has reined in all personalities so as not to be ‘confrontational’. Pathetic. #FreeDamo

Steph
Steph
December 21, 2014 10:26 am

Bobcat was wondering aloud the other day if the leafs would entertain trading reimer and phaneuf for hall or eberle. Friedman handled it well, but it was obvious he wasn’t going to call him out. How can they let the quality of the show be so poor? John Shannon is a train wreck.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
December 21, 2014 10:37 am

I have been one of Bobcat’s most loyal followers over the years, but even I can’t be blinded to the huge drop-off in quality of the show, and the direct correlation is Brunt being out of the picture, Bob’s perfect foil, and with an extended time away from the show, all of the warts are coming to the surface on PTS.

Nothing more to add on Reid, who unless the topic is trading cards, one of the rare segments I caught last week, or the Expos, he is out of his element.

The signal for 1050 is so bad that I am convinced it has hurt them, and until they move over to a decent frequency, are cutting off a good size of their listeners who get their programming the old way.

I actually follow Tim and Sid the most, due to their inclusion of basketball, their chemistry, and although the sound effects are a bit much, I tolerate them, with the hope that they will someday tone it down.

Sam
Sam
December 21, 2014 10:51 am

To give credit where it is due, I really did enjoy the segment about the Topps founder that recently passed away.

The way that I handle PTS now is to listen after the fact only to specific guests if it looks interesting.

Ron H: When Cox actually tries to be interesting – some of those times he actually is (*ducks*) – but 99% of the time he’s just trying to stir up shit rather than provide something of value.

To Alex’s point, I doubt the 100 or so commenters on this site are the target demo of the Fan… their target demo is probably men who like those fattie/hottie comedies.

Sam
Sam
December 21, 2014 10:52 am

PS – is there a way to subscribe to the comments on these articles without actually writing a comment?

HRM
HRM
December 21, 2014 10:54 am

I am outraged and sickened by the assassination of the two NYPD Officers. I truly hope that we see athletes support the police in some way over the coming days. I have no doubt that some teams and leagues will do something. But, while important, this would be a corporate initiative. I hope to see athletes take it upon themselves – just as they did when they wore hand made t-shirts supporting the recent protests and the underlying movement.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
December 21, 2014 11:14 am

Sam, I agree with you. I stayed in my car for ten minutes to hear the end of that segment, as it was fascinating listening, some of the best I have heard. The sad thing is that those segments are so few and far between.

It had to do more with the guest though and his fascinating retelling of the history of trading cards via his friend who invented them and had passed.

Reid did his research and had a genuine interest, which showed, and Bob also always knows how to ask the right questions, so it made for great, although short-lived radio.

Drumanchor
Drumanchor
December 21, 2014 11:51 am

As always, a great read. Happy holidays and thanks to MIB for providing excellent food for thought.

As for athletes sticking their toes in the water of hot topic social issues, I totally agree that it is a minefield and very dangerous. Good intentions can be taken out of context very easily, so one has to be aware that they are not unitentially fanning the flames.

I applaud anyone who takes a stand against abhorrent police brutality (ambushing officers, aside) but am I alone in wishing that the black populace – famous or not – would take this kind of stand against blacks shooting blacks? Innocent people are shot almost every minute of every day in the U.S., yet nary a word.

Why not?

Alex
Alex
December 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Actually, for the longest time, BBC match of the day (the saturday night highlight show) was criticized for having banal analysis by the same handful of pundits, who usually did not hidethe allegiances to the former teams.

There seems to be more and diverse panelists in the last year or so.

alex
alex
December 22, 2014 1:27 pm

He was okay. Particiapted less, but that was prob due to being on with shannon and friedman.

I dont know about free agent, sinve they introduced him as national post columnist. Unless you mean, not tied down with sn or tsn.

FMW
FMW
December 22, 2014 4:35 pm

@Drumachor, so when do white people as a whole apologize for the financial corruption at wall street? Or ordinary Catholics apologize for what the church and priests did? Maybe at the end of all our Christmas cards we should write “Sorry for all the priest things” I think it’s somewhat fresh when white people tell non-whites that they are somehow need to take responsibility for the extreme faults of their demo but we never really hold our own demographic to the same principles. Seriously do you feel any connection to the emo white kid who goes does something stupid| Why should blacks feel the need to do so|

It’s a common talking point at the people at talk radio and fox news. Saying why aren’t muslims or blacks talking about these problems. Which is kind of ironic that Fox news almost everybody being white as commentators and talk radio, well lets just look at our own market on 640 23 out of 24 hours are hosted by white men while on CFRB all 24 hours have a white man host while 3 of those hours is co-hosted by a woman. BTW sports radio is not any better. The people who want more “black voices” to speak out are working at accepting of media outlets with only white voices.

BTW black people are talking about the crime problem, the problem is a lot of white people don’t want to hear why the problem is there. Examples like the cycle of poverty (if you’re family has money you have a nice head start where poor family doesn’t) Ghetto society where rich neighborhoods have better schools and finance than poor neighborhood and double standards in the justice system (white college guy with pot in his dorm is ignored, black poor kid with pot in a park gets a record)

@AnotherAndrew, the problem with the Brown case is the whole thing comes off as a scam. Even most legal experts think so. You had the defendant giving his side of the story but nobody was cross examining him. You have the prosecution who normally works along side with police being the ones expected to now make a case against the same department they worked with the day before and will work with the day after. You don’t see a conflict of interest there? They should have allowed an outside prosecutor to take the case and if after an open trail he found not guilty, then so be it. Not this secret kangaroo court.

Jamally
Jamally
December 22, 2014 4:48 pm

What is the age demographic of Prime Time Sports. 45 or higher? Man, the 4pm hour is full of the worst calls.

Drumanchor
Drumanchor
December 22, 2014 5:33 pm

@FMW. Some decent points made. I recognize how easy it is for me to type away and say, “yadda, yadda, yadda black” when, as you were lightning-quick to point out, I am not of colour. And, no, I don’t feel any connection to the emo white kid who does something stupid.

My point is – without sounding like some Sunbot or Fox “News’ fan – that black people may be taking about the root causes of their issues, but that is no excuse to shoot some kid because you don’t like the running shoes he is wearing as you drive by in your car.

Now THAT is fucking stupid.

And it just doesn’t seem to be going away any time soon as the only people who seem to speak out about these atrocities are the mothers of the young men who are shot.

GreyCountyMike
GreyCountyMike
December 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Re: Cathal Kelly …

There are clearly some assignments he is more prepared for than others. On the sports he knows, his columns can be extremely insightful, in some cases second to none; there are other assignments, though, on which he is clearly overmatched by the beat reporters and tries too damned hard to compensate with immature, often jingoistic tripe.

The Globe doesn’t need the latter; Roy MacGregor has that area covered nicely. To MacGregor’s credit, however, he generally keeps his self-righteous ridiculousness to hockey and doesn’t venture too far away from that.

Jacob
Jacob
December 23, 2014 8:04 am

I really like Elliot Friedman with Bob on yesterday’s PTS. I think they work well together. If we could switch between Elliot and Brunt as co-hosts I would be happy.

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
December 23, 2014 5:02 pm

UFC will be on TSN, RDS next year.

“TSN PR @TSN_PR · Dec 22
TSN, RDS & Fight Network Become the New Canadian Home for UFC Content in Multi-Year Media Deal”

What was that Norm MacDonald line about kick boxing. “It combines the style and grace of boxing with……kicking”

His joke about the Denver Nuggets could apply to the Knicks this year.

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
December 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Billy Joel and Paul McCartney? Come on, Bob. This is better.

Sam in Scarb
Sam in Scarb
December 24, 2014 1:01 am

Been away for a while,(It was a bum rap I tell ya !)and returned realizing I missed NOTHING from the Toronto msm voices,newspaper hacks and internet sport websites (TSN,SPORTSNET).
Alas I did miss MIB Seen & Heard – Weekend Edition.
Great stuff and has become must reading.

Baz
Baz
December 24, 2014 4:31 pm

@FMW You make some valid points, but some are kind of self-serving and blaming ‘institutional racism’. You neglect to mention, in your cycle of poverty, about absentee fathers, substance abuse and overall lack of commitment to prioritizing education. I don’t think the good school/bad school is as valid in this country. Perhaps in the States, but not as much here.

Where I do agree with you, is the mostly Caucasian media and Justice system. These areas always seem to be 20 years behind the times, in terms of diversity and in practice.

Merry Christmas to all..sorry for all the priest things ;P

Bob
Bob
December 24, 2014 10:58 pm

To Ken Reid, I Enjoy your down home input and honesty on PTS. Please try to ignore the unemployed A Holes on this site who want you fired. Have A Great Christmas with your bride and child.

Adam Walker
December 25, 2014 7:42 pm

Ken Reid is a replacement level broadcaster/anchor at best and is too concerned about being funny or referring to Nova Scotia to contribute anything of value. Rogers needs to get off this idea of cross promoting these “personalities” over their various platforms – it doesn’t work.

GreyCountyMike
GreyCountyMike
December 25, 2014 9:49 pm

@ Adam Walker

Good point about the cross promoting. It is exactly what many people feared would only accelerate when Rogers started adding platforms and filling out its roster with personalities from assorted backgrounds. Not everybody is a Stephen Brunt, who generally seems at ease being slotted wherever Rogers needs him at any given moment, i.e. blog, radio, print magazine, television.

Bob
Bob
December 26, 2014 10:23 pm

@ Adam Walker

And how exactly would you know? I must have missed your show!

SN Guy
SN Guy
December 28, 2014 8:54 am

@Bob – thanks for sticking up for Kenny. I work with him too. He’s a great guy. His screwball nature really adds something fresh to PTS.

dogpounder
dogpounder
December 28, 2014 9:31 am

I’ll add another small voice for Ken Reid support.

I don’t mind him at all.

custom
custom
December 28, 2014 8:24 pm

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.

Antonio
Antonio
December 29, 2014 12:50 pm

@FMW
I would personally like to apologize for being Catholic. This means I personally apologize for all of the work our charities have done. You know, like feeding the poor, healing the sick, sheltering the homeless, etc…

Bob
Bob
December 29, 2014 11:05 pm

@SN Guy

I don’t work for SN, actually I don’t work at all, I have been retired for 17 years and have listened to young people tell me how dumb and out of touch us old guys are. Great that you stand up for your co-workers. Most of the commenter’s on this site need to hitch hike out of the GTA and see the rest of the country. I am not from the Maritimes, but I have traveled enough to know our fellow Canadians from Atlantic Canada are the salt of the earth.
The Internet gives us opportunity to complain, as I always told my employees, I will always listened to complaints or concerns, but have at least have an idea of a solution.
To the complainers on this site, It is cowardly to attack anyone without knowing who you are, or what your expertise is on the subject.

alex
alex
December 30, 2014 11:29 am

Cowardly to have an opinion?

I agree that ad homenin attacks, especially by a random anonymous person arent good, but i think saying you dont the on air persona of someone is not the same.

And fwiw, i am not canadian and have only been to the GTA once, same as montreal, calgary, edmonton and NS.

Bob
Bob
December 31, 2014 9:23 pm

@ alex, please repeat that!

January 2, 2015 6:15 pm

Did I hear Sid make reference to this website in the 4 PM hour today on PTS?…………it was early in the hour, maybe at the 5 to 10 minute mark?