Winner Jim Shaky Hunt Toronto Sports Media MSMER 2014

By TSM

So, the fans of spoken.

Numerous people “voted” here on the site and more emailed or dm’ed me on Twitter.

The overwhelming fan favourite for the first ever Jim Shaky Hunt Toronto Sports Media MSMER of the year goes to James Mirtle.

Once “just a blogger” now one of a few left at The Globe and Mail sports department and contributor on TV too Mirtle has been leading the wave of fresh new faces in the Toronto Sports Media scene. A proponent of the increased use of analytics in hockey he has been banging the drum for a while now and has been in the cross hair of some of the older guard media for his now more popular stance.

Next up, I ask the media who they think had the best year in their business.

Happy Sunday from New York City and congrats James!!

Rob In Aurora
Rob In Aurora
January 12, 2015 4:51 pm

James Mirtle? I wish I had voted (not that it really matters). I can’t stand the guy’s work – either written or on TSN. I tune him out now and I won’t read his stuff…

But then I don’t give a tinker’s damn about “advanced stats”…or any hockey stats for that matter. He is preoccupied with them and it makes his articles boring and lecture-like (passing opinion off as fact because he lists stats)….Did he get his family and friends to vote?

Pat
Pat
January 12, 2015 11:19 pm

What makes Mirtle so great is all the news he’s broken.
Oh, wait a minute …

Steve
Steve
January 16, 2015 7:04 am

Didn’t realize that journalists only job was to break news — one of the biggest pissing contests in sports media. No sports fan gives a shit who breaks news first; within five minutes everyone is reporting it anyway.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
January 16, 2015 9:25 pm

Mirtle is as good a choice as any. No one breaks news anymore. Journalist A may break it but B C D have it moments later and their audience gets it from them. So who cares.

More germain to the discussion is opinion offered. I find Mirtle like so many to have opinions when it’s convenient and safe to have them. Who was calling for the Leafs to be blown up 3 months ago. I was. The core is rotten, they might be able to get into the playoffs but who cares when they lose quick. It would be good to have a team that can threaten for a cup.

So now Cox is on the bandwagon, the roundtable all jumped aboard tonight. But come on, where is the guy who wrote that column months ago. Doesn’t exist to the best of my knowledge. Are they afraid of social media consequences? Rogers? The small number of jobs at tier 1 outlets? No idea personally. I just thinks its odd not one media type has called for a burn down til now.

Jonathan Giggs
January 16, 2015 9:36 pm

If you read the comments in this article, not only did he not “break a story” he was just plain wrong.

Jim Hunt may be rolling in his grave!

Not that Chris
Not that Chris
January 18, 2015 3:27 pm

“Jim Hunt may be rolling in his grave!”

This. I’m sure Jim wouldn’t have wasted his saliva to spit on, Mirtle. To suggest, James, is the best this city has to offer in terms of MSM covering sports is laughable.

February 19, 2015 6:00 pm

I don’t know if I would have voted for Rick Westhead for 2014 Toronto Sports Media Member Of The Year………..but a case could definitely be made that TSN bringing him on was the best sports media hire of 2014