David Shoalts Breaks a Big Story

By TSM

I can’t imagine where Globe and Mail writer David Shoalts got the idea to write this story, can you???

“Upon further review, as they say, Walker will join outgoing morning host Greg Brady doing the afternoon shift from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. starting March 2, according to a source close to station owner Rogers Communications Inc.”

You mean the guy who appears with McCown may have a source at Rogers and the Fan????

SHOCKING….

The last time Shoalts broke anything this big, he had Ice Edge Holdings buying Manchester United….

Funny, it sounds like Blundell blasted Shoalts on twitter right after this article appeared, but that tweet has since been deleted.

Fun times….

happy Monday

AP
AP
February 12, 2015 7:24 am

” Blundell, who made his name as a shock jock on Toronto radio station 102.5 The Edge before getting fired in 2014 after making on-air comments deemed homophobic…”

102.5, eh?

Who’s this Boomer guy? Anyone with a nickname sounds like he needed something other than sports knowledge to get noticed.

Jacob
Jacob
February 12, 2015 8:44 am

Can anyone out West comment on Boomer? Is he any good?

SB
SB
February 12, 2015 10:06 am

The hypocrisy of Fan590….. critical of every sport organization for poor drafting and development they themselves do a pathetic job of hiring and developing on air talent. Dan Shulman and Elliot Freidman were 20 years ago since then nada….Note to all Toronto sport radio hosts- stop ending every interview with “thanks for this” you all do it

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
February 12, 2015 12:32 pm

Well it appears my theory on dial inertia is about to be tested. Personally I can’t see a show with Blundell succeeding. He’s not a sports guy and he’s illiterate on the topic. And with an outsider new to the market and no built in chemistry it’s going to be a slog. So will people manage to finally turn that dial? I think it’s going to be for some. Question is how many. If it does blow up someone’s going to be looking for a new job and I don’t mean the morning hosts.

Too Much
Too Much
February 12, 2015 12:55 pm

When was the last time Shoalts was on with McCown? I haven’t heard him in ages. Mind you I tend to listen to TSN a lot more these days.

Antonio
Antonio
February 12, 2015 12:55 pm

You guys should try using ‘Google”. Its great for getting info about someone or something. Just a suggestion.

This is what I came up with:

February 12, 2015 3:09 pm

Someone in the last comment thread said Blundell deleted his post to Shoalts, but that’s not accurate it looks like:

Neal
Neal
February 12, 2015 3:30 pm

Very interesting…wasn’t Molberg on with Mike Richards on the morning show in Calgary on the Fan 960? Wow.

Twitter
Twitter
February 12, 2015 4:30 pm

Technically, I don’t think @ Dean Blundell “blasted” Shoalts, he just posted a story + headline;
http://www.fiveforhowling.com/2010/4/1/1401196/david-shoalts-shows-how-good-of-a “David Shoalts, Terrible Journalist, Gets PUNKD by Ice Edge Joke” More of a subtweet, IMO.

Not that Chris
Not that Chris
February 12, 2015 7:53 pm

@Daniel

I posted that in the last thread. Blundell did delete the specific tweet I referenced (he specifically called Shoalts a dumbass), and replaced it with the one you’ve linked to. I didn’t see that when going back through his TL. My bad.

Not sure I’d take Shoalts word as gospel on this, though.

Alex
Alex
February 12, 2015 8:43 pm

I want to say Shoalts was on with Bob within the month, talking some NHL business story, maybe the World Cup or Vegas or Phoenix. I think it was a 4:00 hit.

Too Much
Too Much
February 12, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks Alex. I remember Shoalts being a semi-regular a few years ago but couldn’t come up with any time recently that I had heard him.
I’m having difficulty agreeing with TSM’s inference that Shoalts got this from Bob when Shoalts has written two significantly non-flattering articles on the Rogers NHL hockey performance.

billyjoejimbob
billyjoejimbob
February 13, 2015 12:18 am

Not Molberg

February 13, 2015 4:36 am

@Chris – ah sorry! Thought you just missed it..

WouldStaley93
WouldStaley93
February 13, 2015 8:29 pm

So per @dshoalts on Twitter tonight Rogers has offered co hosting spot to Ryan Pinder out of Sportsnet 960 The Fan in Calgary. Not familiar with Pinder at all. Anyone know about him ?

Who would others have gotten to work with Dean. I’m looking forward to the show. i would have maybe given Strombo or Jeff Marek a role co hosting with Dean.

Also the PTS round table was garbage tonight. TSN Drive with Dave Naylor and Co Host Steve Simmons as always was miles ahead in terms of discussion.

Not that Chris
Not that Chris
February 13, 2015 10:21 pm

Totally disagree with your take on the PTS roundtable tonight. I thought it was the best they’ve had in a long time.

No Shannon.
No Reid.

Blair, Arash and Tim feel good enough about themselves that their was zero asskissing, and lots of debate. I enjoyed the show tonight.

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
February 14, 2015 7:58 am

No one at the Fan remembers Andrew Krystal’s time there? He knew little or nothing about sports and I don’t think he lasted a year. Everything Sportsnet does is 3rd class, ill conceived and unwatchable/listenable. I am 100% TSN, both TV and radio. And i find Richards weak and Naylor a dufus. Both are better than the drive time shows on the Fan590

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
February 14, 2015 11:54 am

I didn’t hear all of the Friday round table, and I couldn’t hear a lot of the last half hour when I was trying to. Do they understand when three of them are all talking at once, we can’t get any of it? McCown tried to tell them “one at a time” more than once, but they ignored him. My sister-in-law who was in the car said it was worse than The View.

Robert
Robert
February 14, 2015 12:01 pm

That was just the last few minutes when they were arguing about Brady vs. Manning. I agree with Not that Chris. The rest of the show was actually quite listenable.

Jamally
Jamally
February 14, 2015 1:06 pm

PTS Roundtable was great.

It’s funny how good the PTS Roundtable can be without hockey people or Ken Reid, who falls into the hockey/annoying category. What happens in that situation is they cover EVERYTHING.

Jeff Blair has really grown on my in recent years. Arash and Tim were good too. No need to kiss Bob’s ass or talk about “pucks in deep”.