Tweaks In Toronto Sports Media World

By TSM

Never dull.

This evening I am told that Rogers has made a behind the scenes change. Long time employee and producer Paul Campbell who’s been Supervising Producer at Sportsnet is no longer with the show, or the network for that matter. Campbell has been with Rogers since 1998; quite the run on the TV side.

Meanwhile, TSN Radio 1050 will finally alter their radio news update schedule so that it’s now on the same sync as The Fan 590. This will take place on March 2nd, the day Blundell starts on Fan 590.

Lastly, while nothing has been confirmed yet, it appears more and more likely that the Fan morning duo, Greg Brady and Andrew Walker will remain a team with Walker joining Brady at 1pm. Lots of tongues wagging this evening that it may as well be a done deal. Stay tuned for an announcement.

Happy Hump day!

Peter Ballantine
Peter Ballantine
February 18, 2015 12:57 am

Looks like those idiots at the FAN blew it again. Get Walker out of here! Who the hell wants to listen to creepy 80’s Greg and his awful pitchy voice either??? Expect the afternoon ratings to take a MAJOR dive now.

February 18, 2015 1:27 am

@Peter – I get you hate their show but gimme a break. Their morning show was well rated.

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
February 18, 2015 1:33 am

It is a little dull now. Was last February this bad? After that great Super Bowl everything seems dreary in comparison. I wonder what will break the funk – March Madness, The Masters, Baseball…

Bob had 2 funny stories today (around 22 minutes into the 6pm hour of PTS, after the Marty Appel interview). Both centred on a visit to Yankee stadium in 1976. The first story was about the way he got down from the upper deck in Yankee stadium and the second story involves “white eyes” in the Bronx. Bob seems (or acts) like such a tough guy it was funny to hear him talk about situations when he was scared.

I hope Brady and Walker stay together. Their show should be even better without the need to hit the same topics every hour as they have to do in the morning. Although sometimes Walker does have strange takes. This morning he said Steve Martin and Dan Ackryod weren’t funny.Awhile ago he tweeted that having Phil Kessell was basically the same as getting Connor Macdavid. He also compared Scarlett Johansson favorably to Marilyn Monroe.

Neal
Neal
February 18, 2015 7:58 am

I like the move of Brady and Walker to afternoons. Just wondering if they will adopt the Tim and Sid format or stick with what made them successful in the mornings.

Darrell
Darrell
February 18, 2015 10:26 am

Nobody can copy what Tim + Sid did in the 1 to 4 PM slot and the FAN will suffer HUGE for that.

I actually do like Andrew Walker but holy cow am I tired of Greg Brady’s Detroit shtick. Walker had his moments where he would tell Brady in a non-chalant way to shut up and I loved that! @Neal – I highly doubt Tim + Sid’s genius work could be duplicated by Walker or Brady?

Once March 2nd comes, TSN Radio will probably gain in listeners because of people’s dislike for the addition of Dean Blundell, loss of Tim + Sid and the moving of Brady + Walker.

Constantly amazed how Jeff Blair remains on the station hosting, “The ah Jeff Blair Show!” Good grief man – is it so hard to remember that you are hosting your first and last name’s show?

The FAN 590 used to be a great station and it is definitely going down the toilet.

Louis
Louis
February 18, 2015 11:04 am

Maybe I’m being nostalgic but I’d like to see Stellick and Cox reunited. Just can’t get enough of that 80’s Leafs talk.

dsscpu
dsscpu
February 18, 2015 12:02 pm

TSN Radio is going to sync its updates to Sportsnet Radio – Why? The only time I usually flip the dial from 590 to 1050 is during commercials/updates and the odd time they draw me in to sticking around for a bit. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Curt
Curt
February 18, 2015 12:03 pm

Bob’s Yankee Stadium story (like all of his stories) have been told ad nauseam. But I guess there are some people out there who haven’t heard them all yet.

alex
alex
February 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Thats why ami made pts bingo cards.

Not that Chris
Not that Chris
February 18, 2015 10:43 pm

@backstagePTS used to tweet out those bingo cards when Bob said EBITDA. Always made me laugh.

PBI
PBI
February 19, 2015 12:18 am

Tapping my foot like Sonic the Hedgehog is my favourite Bob-ism.

Jamally
Jamally
February 19, 2015 7:40 am

What story does Bob tell the most?

I think its the one when the Jays came to Toronto and on opening day the Argos ownership said under the bleechers it would never be the same again. He tells that story once a month.

Sperk
Sperk
February 19, 2015 12:04 pm

“Alphonse and Gaston”…IK actually had to Google it as I had no clue what it meant or what it represented 🙂

Curt
Curt
February 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Oh, off the top of my head there’s also the Bear Bryant interview; talking with Jack Nicklaus (and impressing him apparently); UNLV court side tickets given to him by Tarkanian himself (in fact, anything to do with Vegas). I’m guessing with Reid as a sidekick (who stares at him with creepy awe) these stories are back in circulation daily.

Steve
Steve
February 19, 2015 2:17 pm

Ali-Berbick fight.

Phil
Phil
February 19, 2015 2:52 pm

Rooster story, getting his vehicle serviced at GM dealer in Oshawa, anchor at Sportsline

bingo
bingo
February 19, 2015 2:59 pm

Here’s the bingo card. Changes every time you refresh the page.

Alex
Alex
February 19, 2015 3:02 pm

I’d say its seasonal. During football season, the bear bryant and tampa super bowl stories are popular. During baseball, the argos coaches and yankee stadium stories come to the surface.

Pants Go Brown
Pants Go Brown
February 19, 2015 3:43 pm

What about when Bob pontificates about music? Eagles, Rush whatever other dreck he listens to.

Plus there hasn’t been a story about Stony Ridge Wines lately? What about how no one is awake during the day in Vegas?

Alex
Alex
February 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Funny, Shannon triesto provoke Bob into talking about why he wears the sunglasses and bob says “im not going to tell that again. Ive told it 100 times.”

February 19, 2015 4:11 pm

A few years ago many people posted their favourite (and least favourite) common McCown PTS phrases and stories on this site………..unfortunately I don’t remember when it was so I can’t post a link

And as alex mentioned, there was also the PTS Bingo Card that our friend Ami Angelwings created a couple of years ago

Sam in Scarb

Phil
February 19, 2015 8:26 pm

Spockian Eyebrow

Jamally
Jamally
February 19, 2015 9:51 pm

At one point I think Bob said Glass Tiger was one of the biggest bands of the 80s and had multiple top 10 hits – this is when he would constantly talk about and have Alan Frew as a guest.

Jamally
Jamally
February 19, 2015 9:53 pm

It’s so funny now that I think one day Bob will say he created Las Vegas with Mo Greene.

Warren
Warren
February 19, 2015 10:39 pm

a couple I didn’t see mentioned:

… “they are so bad they couldn’t win an inter- squad game”, and

referring to Bubba and Skeeter

alex
alex
February 19, 2015 10:52 pm

I was wondering why Bob had been plugging the Tragically Hip tour this week and today he mentioned they partneted with him to release a wine last year.

dogpounder
dogpounder
February 20, 2015 6:11 am

Playoff picture is taking shape in the NHL.
Has anyone else noticed how much “1-8” talk there still is?
Memo to sports radio hosts/guests: they changed the format. LAST YEAR.

Lee (Oakville)
Lee (Oakville)
February 20, 2015 10:42 am

Sword of Damacles

Don River
Don River
February 20, 2015 12:26 pm

-corner of walk and don’t walk

-law firm of Dewey, Cheatham and Howe

-we’ll be back tomorrow if the creek don’t rise

Sperk
Sperk
February 20, 2015 1:33 pm

I listened to PTS last night for about 5 minutes and, in that span, McCown (for some reason) insisted on pronouncing Goran Dragic with a faux Dolf Lundgren in Rockey IV eastern european accent. He did it like three or four times! Why?

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
February 20, 2015 4:18 pm

It’s been a while since I heard him with the old “you can’t turn chicken turd into chicken salad…” routine. I like most of the Bob-ism expressions as they sound pretty original to me. The old stories are yawners but from his perspective they are good filler material for when he hasn’t been following recent sporting news.

February 20, 2015 4:32 pm

I found the comments about McCown’s common phrases and stories……….here is the link:

Steve
Steve
February 20, 2015 7:28 pm

Blair is destroying the beginning round table with this fake everything is fixed take. Terrible radio.

Markhamite
Markhamite
February 20, 2015 8:48 pm

amazing

read those Bobisms above and linked, loved it.

we all listen to the same guy and hear the same things

We complain about the show, but the truth is we keep on tuning in because its familiar, its comfortable. Like an old comfy chair, or your favourite pair of jeans.

My complaint: Any co-host, and i mean ANY co-host is better than Reid.

Reggie
Reggie
February 20, 2015 9:39 pm

Tim and Sid and genius in the same sentence, did hell freeze over Darrell? Roundtable on pts once again unlistenabe today,the blair fixed lotto schtick is pathetic. Can bob stop the jimmy key bullpen bs when talking aaron Sanchez? Ken started a game and had two relief appearances in the 92 series after starting throughout the season; hardly a bullpen only guy.

Curt
Curt
February 20, 2015 11:32 pm

Personally, I don’t listen to PTS anymore. Well I do rarely, depending on whose on. I find the same old stories and his general lack of interest/knowledge of the sports world to be “unlistenable” – to use a Bobism.

Reggie
Reggie
February 20, 2015 11:50 pm

Can’t have a list of bobisms without his “pecos red river chilli”.

Frank
Frank
February 21, 2015 8:44 am

More bob’isms. Some already posted, some new.

There’s no there there
Why in the name of the baby Jesus
Sam and Ted
The Toronto Rap-a-tors
Managing general
I get that
Thing one
Thing two
Pallacial estate
Cogburn
giddyup
Wnnnnbbbbc
ink-stained wretches
Tikanis. Greek for How are you
Is not even a rounding error
A mistake of biblical proportions
You can’t be half pregnant
Cite the case
It puts my feet to sleep
Shut up
We must off
Yikes
A hundred percent
Well whup di doo
Sisters of the poor
Guam
Ne’er-do-well
Sword of Damacles
corner of walk and don’t walk

Darren K Johnston
Darren K Johnston
February 25, 2015 4:55 pm

alex says:
February 18, 2015 at 10:36 pm
Thats why ami made pts bingo cards.

Where has Amy gone? I haven’t seen a post from here in forever?

controlaltdelete
controlaltdelete
February 26, 2015 11:17 pm

these might have been captured already, but just in case:

– to my immediate left