Saturday Toronto Sports Media Open Forum

Saturday Toronto Sports Media Open Forum

By TSM

Happy Saturday!

I find myself this am in Merritt BC.. I’ve never been here and it’s cool little town. Population 7100!! Little TSM has a hockey tournament here. Stunning scenery and typically warm people. 5 hour drive from Seattle.

We listened to the Raptors game on NBA radio on SiriusXM last night. Interesting thoughts: Not a big deal, but they had the TSN feed on for a good 30 minutes at tip-off. Only problem the game was on the Fan 590. Someone must have called and complained as they switched over eventually.

What was most interesting? The station was on this morning as we shuffled back and forth to the hockey rink. All the talk and all the calls on the same station were Raptors related. Again, SiriusXM NBA radio not a Canadian outlet. Unlike last year, the banter, even from the hosts was very positive.

Riddle me this batman, during the BC Lions/ Edmonton Eskimos game last night the hockey team was watching at a local Boston Pizza. One of the teams was trailing with under 4 minutes left in the game by 10. On first down, they kicked a field goal. I will say it again. On first down, they kicked a field goal. Just one question….why????

Watched a little bit of Tim and Sid yesterday. Remind me again why is this on TV and not radio. That cannot be a cheap show to produce. I just cannot imagine it has a long shelf life. I’d bet it would be a big target for whoever replaces Scott Moore.

I am really curious what becomes of one Stephen Brunt in the post-Moore era. Brunt was at one point the grand poobah of sports media in the country before becoming much less front and center. I doubt a new boss could get more from Brunt, the question is will they even get as much as they currently do.

The most interesting case is that of Bob McCown. McCown the worldwide (ok, Canada) leader of radio ratings is the one that will be worth watching. Contract status notwithstanding what will a new leader want to do. Do they continue to take the ratings and spend the money or do they make the move to try to garner a younger audience? It sounds from various sources while many at Rogers don’t necessarily like all the power McCown yields (yielded) they know very well the dominance he has. Can’t wait to see how this plays out.

It is really interesting to follow a couple other items. The way the various outlets have been covering the Nylander stalemate and the Jays managerial search. Interesting stuff to say the least.

Happy weekend!

Jonah

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 22
  • comment-avatar
    Darrell 4 weeks ago

I caught yesterday (Friday’s) episode of Tim + Sid. They had a segment where Sid Seixeiro was fulfilling a bet where he lost to Tim McAllief relating to the Boston Red Sox David Price lasting longer in the game than Sid was expecting in the clinching game of the American League Championship Series. Sid lost + he had to sing the song “Despacito”. I personally love those two and they are hilarious.

I would hope that if they were ever to return to radio? They are brought back to the morning show (would be great to hear them driving into work on the radio) or the evening time slot replacing Bobcat Bob McCown.

Brian Waugh 4 weeks ago

You are not wrong where it comes to Sam and Ted aka Tim and Sid. However I cannot wonder if Scott Moore’s replacement will do away will them altogether and that would not be good.

Gary M 4 weeks ago

Why do you think Tim and Sid isn’t a cheap show to produce? It’s 2 guys and a set for 10 hours a week.

• comment-avatar

I know more younger people enjoy listening to the radio station with guys who call themselves “Noodles” and “O’Dawg” (even though O’Dawg sounds like a nickname from the 90’s).

The reason McCown has always been “the guy” is because everyone felt his opinion “mattered”. There are a lot of opinions out there by people that don’t matter. But PTS is what mattered in the sports world (Canada).

From what I can see, the TSN crew are starting to matter to younger audiences (professionals in their 20’s). So Sportsnet needs to think ahead very soon. And funny enough, they had something with the radio version of Tim n Sid, but maybe have devalued that property.

Carl A 4 weeks ago

I usually tune in to PTS and if John Shannon is on it’s not worth listening. It seems like he’s an everyday thing now and this is not a good thing. At least Ken Reid has vanished from the show which is a good thing. He must be in Bob’s bad books.

Paul G. 4 weeks ago

@Carl A He pretty much is. 4-5 pm co-host Tuesday through Thursday and usually on the Friday Roundtable.

This past Friday for added “insight”, he was joined by Vendetta. The two of them spent much of the show trying to outdo each other. It really lowers the bar compared to what the Roundtable used to be.

Original Mitch 4 weeks ago

Can’t see Sid and Tim moving any time soon. Cheap programming, glorified commercial for events on the network that evening, crew already there. It’s obvious the show isn’t growing in stature, it’s more like treading water. But it’s original content, it’s cheap and aimed at the coveted younger demo. Kind of like PTI in the States, just a simple show that trucks along for years and years. Unless they gave them Bob’s radio slot, why take them off tv?

• comment-avatar

On Monday Deitsch begins a six week absence. He is on less than half of a year in his new ‘full time job.’  Who wanted it so low, him or Rogers? Doesn’t seem the right time as all four major sports are going at the same time and the World Series is about to begin.

Hour 3 of Wed, Oct. 17 Overdrive is hardest I’ve laughed in my car listening to radio this ear. Especially at the 5 min left mark of the Pod.

• comment-avatar

Tim & Sid is expensive programming relative to what was in the time slot before. In addition to their big salaries the show also carries a bunch of producers and technical staff. According to sources at SN, T&S is drawing similar viewership numbers to the prepackaged highlights loop that used to run mid afternoons. Add to that the fact that the show competes with PTS.

New Scott Moore is going to have hard time justifying keeping the status quo 5-7 on 590 and SN.

• comment-avatar

@yaz – earlier this year they announced the PTS co host gig would be Deitsch half the time, Brunt half the time. I don’t think it’s a reflection of any discontent, just the parameters of the gig.

I know the comments here are about 80% negative, but I’ve really enjoyed the new PTS set up. The roundtable guests could be better, but knowing it’s Brunt and Deitsch and not Reid or Shannon co hosting, I’ve been listening more than I have in a couple years.

• comment-avatar

I thought TIm & Sid were a breath of fresh air on radio, and gave The Fan a really solid lineup. The structure of the show doesn’t seem to work as well on TV as it did on radio, and who’s even watching TV from 5-7 anyway? Since the TV gig, Tim & Sid have been kind of off the radar for me. I’d love to see them back on The Fan or given a proper podcast – maybe they replace Bobcat when he’s done? Or they could combine a radio show with a shortened half hour TV show or something (though as someone pointed out to me here a while ago, it’s tough to devote that production money to that short a show in this country).

“From what I can see, the TSN crew are starting to matter to younger audiences (professionals in their 20’s)” – maybe I’m wrong but I feel like every TSN Radio ratings book since its inception has been super bad? I know Overdrive has a fan base, but the rest of the lineup has a ‘we’re not really trying’ feel to it (which I really think is a shame).

Mike V 4 weeks ago

I don’t know, pulling similar numbers as something on four years ago is not that bad considering TV overall is off substantially in that same time. It’s a relative game. If it’s beating TSN (is it?) or whatever else is on at 5, they might be ok with it. And when you say big salaries for them, what is the ballpark? $250,000? 500?

This reminds me, what about Jay and Dan? They’ve been back over a year now and I haven’t heard a peep from Bell about how they are doing.

Gary M 4 weeks ago

Mike V makes an enormous point about comparing today’s ratings to 4 years ago, but there’s more. Ad dollars are substantially higher for original programming than a highlight loop, on the expectation that the viewer is more engaged. Also, I don’t think we want to exaggerate how many producers and technical staff it is for 2 full hours a day of programming. It’s not that complex of a show and fills a ton of time enroute to prime time. It’s the Dennis Lamp of TV.

Marcus 4 weeks ago

@Gary M, two thumbs up to that Dennis Lamp reference. He was a low-key guy (in a not so low-key clubhouse) and was value for money with the Jays.

Gary M 4 weeks ago

Thanks, Marcus, well said. I say with not even the slightest bit of snark that his personality and character have since become an asset behind the fish counter. I just love this story: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/30/sports/la-sp-crowe-20110131

• comment-avatar

“Good show” has to be renamed “Bad show”
    It is unlistenable.  Jd bunkis needs to stop talking.
    Again, sometimes less is more!!
    Scotty Mac blows these guys out of the water on his weakest of days!!

Justin 4 weeks ago

Amazing interview with Bob Cole on Blair and Brunt’s podcast that came out today. A must-listen for any hockey fan.

It got me thinking (and perhaps this is an idea for a fully fleshed-out blog post down the line) – the Canadian sports media is finally starting to catch up to the states with podcasting. In the last year alone Sportsnet has launched Shulman’s storytelling podcast (maybe my favourite podcast out there right now), Blair and Brunt’s excellent podcast, and the extremely popular 31 Thoughts podcast.

We now see Sportsnet putting their biggest names into the podcast realm – something ESPN’s already been doing for years. I’d be interesting to hear from someone in the industry about if these podcasts are profiting off of ad sales or if they’re only being used as a vehicle for more cross-promotion of Sportsnet properties.

Another interesting wrinkle is these podcasts are, in a way, serving as semi-direct competition to Sportsnet radio properties. I used to have sports radio on in the house all the time while doing things. Now, I pretty much only have podcasts on (mostly US-based sports pods, in addition to the Sportsnet ones I mentioned above). My intake of live sports radio has dramatically decreased. I still listen to Overdrive almost daily and parts of PTS frequently – but only via podcast, of course. And I’m not alone. Where this takes sports radio and podcasting in the future would be interesting to find out.

• comment-avatar

@Daniel. Agreed. But Deitsch sounded a tad forlorn and mentioned he may drop in here and there during his six weeks down.

The Athletic’s Dan Robson announcing via Twitter that
    “We’re building a features and investigations unit for @TheAthletic Canada. We plan to produce captivating longform narratives and uncover untold stories. And we’re hiring!
    I hope you’ll read along as we strive to bring you quality Canadian sports journalism.”

This is sorely needed. I don’t think Sportsnet has anyone and Westhead, while great, still presents a conflict of interest. There just seems to be too many sports related stories that nobody chases down in Toronto. This could get interesting.

• comment-avatar

I wish Deitsch was in this week. On Friday’s Roundtable Brunt said he was off this week fishing)and McCown announced that Shannon would be replacing him. So much for PTS this week!

Chance Vought 2 weeks ago

And the roundtable this week is Shannon, Fay, and Vendetta…no thanks. Vendetta alone is no thanks for me, but throw in Fay and Shannon? That’s cruel and unusual punishment.

Mullah_Kintyre 2 weeks ago

The Mike Richards with David Bastl podcast/YouTube show will apparently soon also become a “morning radio” show again, according to them. Although they have yet to confirm what station, the new low-powered “Sauga AM 960” would appear to be a good guess.
    It’s owned by the same guy who owns the Mississauga Steelheads junior hockey team, and it already has Mike “don’t call me a stalker or I’ll sue you” Bullard back on the air a few months after he was fired from Toronto station 1010.

Mullah_Kintyre 2 weeks ago

Correction: It was actually 2016 when alleged comedian and former TV talk show host Mike Bullard was previously last on radio; it was a few months ago when he finally pleaded guilty after many different times being arrested and charged.