Is The NHL Trade Deadline Dead? Brady Gets New Co-Host & More

Is The NHL Trade Deadline Dead? Brady Gets New Co-Host & More

We’ve been doing this for a long time, and with the exception of those rare times when a radio station completely gutted a lineup this is one of the few times when there a lot of things going on.

So, lets get at it…in no real order:

🗣️📢 We are pleased to announce that Ashley Docking (@SmrtAsh) is joining The @FAN590 as new morning show co-host! @Sportsnet’s Starting Lineup with Brady, Docking and Burrill debuts tomorrow, Thursday, Feb. 28. 📻🎙️

Full details: https://t.co/rVkKHyrA3w— Sportsnet PR (@SportsnetPR) February 27, 2019

Did it take Scott Moore leaving the building for The Fan 590 to catch up and get some female talent back in a host seat? It’s been a very long time since the radio station had that female presence and this is very nice to see.

Of course, a very nice hat tip to Ashley Docking and equally to The College of Sports Media for having another alum ‘make it’.

The morning show at the Fan was train wreck leading up to the change. This will make a big difference. I think Ashley will be a nice foil for Brady. Greg likes to drive and he likes to pass the topic off, so this will test him a bit. Ashley is fun, she is funny and I think she will be a real bright addition to an old, male Fan 590 lineup.

Yesterday, @TSN_Sports #TradeCentre coverage attracted an average audience of 143,000 viewers, 61% higher than its closest competitor. The 10-hour special reached a total of 1.9 million unique Canadian viewers, an increase of 5% from last year. pic.twitter.com/29zGkIClk9— TSN PR (@TSN_PR) February 26, 2019

On thing we have learned, if there is no press release the news isn’t good. In the past, and on many topics, the two networks will each issue separate press releases with numbers professing to dominate an event. When one doesn’t or neither do, the numbers are not good.

So, the fact that Sportsnet didn’t respond with their own numbers is not good for the audience numbers.

However, industry sources tell me that the overall numbers are garbage.

The TSN numbers used to be massively larger. The audience size was huge. TSN used to destroy Sportsnet. Now? TSN still pummels them, but the overall number is way down.

Have the fans gotten smarter? Is the fact that nothing of substance really happens suddenly more relevant to fans? Or has the league tightened up.

In talking to lots of people there is only one way to fix this, should anyone have any interest- the deadline is too late. As a result, no one is watching.

Don’t get me wrong, congrats to TSN, their numbers compared to SN are impressive. Overall? Not so much.

Thankfully, ESPN picked up part of it for those of us in the USA.

It was funny watching the Raptors on TNT the other night. First Isiah Thomas was calling the game. Isiah spoke often about his time in Toronto and building the Raps. Wow did they feature original owner John Bitove a lot in the game. Bitove had really nice seats in the game didn’t he.

Raps and Leafs, if you had to bet McCown’s money or what’s left of it who would you bet is going to go further in the playoffs? What happens if they both bow out early?

Shut up and win. Has anyone given that advice to the Blue Jays brass who just can’t get out of their own way it seems.

🌴 @MLBNetworkRadio at #BlueJays camp 🌴

GM Ross Atkins: Vlad Guerrero Jr. is not a Major League player right now…

… not yet. pic.twitter.com/ydqZdvXFro— MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM (@MLBNetworkRadio) February 26, 2019

Why even go there. The Jays can’t have the guy start the season in the bigs. They have to maximize their exclusivity with the player. They are playing by dumb rules, but they are what the are. Why put yourself , again, in front of your fan base and look like total liars? Why piss people off over and over again. Why not say nothing or something a little more believable so that the baseball and sports world isn’t totally mocking you?

Hmmmm

Introducing @thelede_ca! Bell Media’s new one-stop shop for media to find assets, screeners, press kits, and more. Check out the new site here: https://t.co/Ci4TLWnQD8 pic.twitter.com/3Y7Y9T47yH— TSN PR (@TSN_PR) February 28, 2019

📡On a new episode of The Lede, @ShiDavidi joins @SNJeffBlair and Stephen Brunt in front of a live studio audience to discuss all of the biggest stories in baseball.

Listen and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts.https://t.co/LGh2CAZFXi pic.twitter.com/xplWeAqQ6n— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) January 23, 2019

One of these things is not like the other….Plus we’ll have @Michael_Traikos on to discuss whether Mike Babcock really has forgotten how to coach and @JoeBpXp @ShiDavidi and @MSavvy91 and Shawn Matthias on Leafs Morning Skate— Jeff Blair (@SNJeffBlair) February 21, 2019

Speaking of Blair, he was taking quite a bit of time last week on this has Babcock forgotten how to coach angle. Is the honeymoon officially over?

Want to laugh, search Craig Simpson in twitter. I am not sure there is a more hated member of the Canadian sports media world than Simpson. I thought I disliked the HNIC dynamic duo until I read some of what others had to say…wow…

“They’re a bunch of jerks.” – Don Cherry ripped the Hurricanes for their postgame celebrations. pic.twitter.com/MImbTXH5Xs— Brad Galli (@BradGalli) February 17, 2019

Let’s be clear, there is only one jerk in this whole thing and he’s on your TV every Saturday night. The neanderthal has to go, it’s embarassing that he still has a perch.

Back in the day, I hated me the Ottawa Senators, way more than the Habs. I have to admit, with all that is going on in Ottawa, I feel badly for the fans. What a total disgrace this has turned out to be.

This is how I feel as a Sens fan #Ottawa #Senators #sens #melnykout #ottawasenators #nhl pic.twitter.com/S1sfPDXs2c— #melnykout (@AJGD77) February 27, 2019

Now this is a great news story:

The Raptors win over San Antonio last Friday was the most-watched regular season NBA game ever in Canada. DeMar DeRozan’s return to Toronto attracted an average audience of 710,000 on @TSN_Sports and more than 2.5 million unique Canadian viewers.— Josh Lewenberg (@JLew1050) February 25, 2019

That is awesome! The Raptors are a great media story and no one really tells it (us included- and we are working to fix that).

Let me clarify something I put on Twitter the other night. I wrote in Jeff Marek, SN has their Duthie. Let me explain. SN has a ton of hosts, none of which are equal to Duthie, he is the best. However, of all the hosts over at SN, Marek is the best and he is terribly underutilized. That’s my point.

Lastly, I will say this, I have a ton of respect for Marcus Stroman. I think he is way smarter than a lot of people give him credit for and I think he knew exactly what he was saying and doing the other day. We, Torontonians clamor for USA athletes to like us and like our city and we don’t often appreciate those who actually do. Now, Demar wasn’t chased out of town, he was traded and man did the Raps fans do it right honoring the man, but Stroman is one of us. He embodies Toronto and even with whatever % of his statements are financially motivated I respect the hell out of a guy who at least talks like he wants to be in Toronto.

I know, trading Demar was the right thing. Every writer and analyst I trust re- emphasized that this week. I will admit with all the hooplah and attention on how much he loved Toronto I was a lot sad that he is no longer a Raptor and he didn’t get to ride out a career as a Raptor. Call me a sap. In this season where we have all wanted for any glimpse or hint that the other guy may like us and our city there was no doubt with Demar and I don’t think there is with Stroman either. That is refreshing.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 15
  • comment-avatar
    Mario 3 months ago

Great read thanks. Totally agree the trade day marathon on both channels way to much. I did watch a bit in small segments, mostly on sportsnet and they have came along ways since there early days thought they did a really good job. At the end of the day know one really cares and the viewer number show it.
    Good move on the Fan with Ashely joining the morning show.

Chris 3 months ago

I would just like to be among the first to congratulate Ashley Docking on her new gig. At the same time wish her my condolences on her firing in a year or so, as she is working with the grim reaper of sports radio Greg Brady.

How many co-hosts can 1 man go through?

Justin 3 months ago

After years of all-day marathon shows, the trade deadline specials suffer from a marked apathy among the viewership. The audience knows nothing happens before noon, and almost nothing happens before the last hour before the deadline. Everything there is to talk about in the morning – speculating on which players will be moved, discussing trades that have already happened over the last week, going over the buyers and sellers – all of that’s already been beaten to death by the sports media in the run-up to the deadline. No new information or analysis is given. It’s boring and unnecessary. I started watching TSN at 12:30 – not to actually watch for trade deadline coverage, but to what the slow-moving trainwreck would be like as they tried to fill time. TSN had their panel taking turns on an indoor putting green to waste time. It was a joke.

As per Sean Fitz-Gerald’s excellent article in The Athletic last week, we got to where we are now at 8:00am because TSN and Sportsnet kept trying to one-up each other by starting earlier every year. Gradually the start times moved from the afternoon to 8:00am. The two channels should make a pact moving forward to both go live to air at noon and be done with it. The end product will be far better.

• comment-avatar

If memory serves on Toronto Mike’s podcast that someone mentioned that TSN went to Sportsnet (or vice versa) with that exact idea to move it back to noon and the other side balked at the idea.

Mike V 3 months ago

Why do you need a pact? Just start the dam thing at noon and not care what the other side does. More people are into TSN coverage that I doubt it matters if Sportsnet starts at 2am.

Plus, I bet the morning slot is the lower rated one so you’d be able to juice the AMA numbers for next year’s release by getting rid of it. (Ultimately this would matter very little outside of chest thumping but both the PR teams still love to do it.)

• comment-avatar

I try my best to avoid all local sports media on NHL trade deadline day.  It’s just the worst of hockey overkill, and nothing interesting happens anyway.

Thumbs up on The Fan hiring Ashley Docking. Now maybe they could fix that afternoon show, and give Tim and Sid a real podcast that’s not just the audio of their TV show?

• comment-avatar

Also, maybe just me – but to the local media types who are going to tweet ‘lots of empty seats at the Jays game tonight’ over and over again all summer… isn’t it kind of established at this point that if the team is bad the crowds will be bad, and if the team is good the crowds will be good?  Just seems like a boring, lazy talking point when the reasoning for the low attendance this year will be totally obvious.  (If the Jays had bad crowds in 2015 or great crowds this year – that might be a story).

mikew 3 months ago

blockquote>How many co-hosts can 1 man go through?

My feelings also. Why is he bullet proof?

Hoopsfan 3 months ago

MIB calling Cherry a neanderthal is uncalled for. Cherry has been a lot more successful than MIB will ever be. Professional hockey player, NHL Coach, Famous TV Personality, famous VHS/DVD series. People that accomplished a lot don’t have blogs (but I enjoy this blog so keep doing it 🙂 ).

• comment-avatar

Maybe it’s just that he’s new on the job, but anyone else think the new Sportsnet president didn’t really impress in his PTS interview? It was kind of awkward for what is essentially a promo. It was kind of amusing to hear Bob call him out for being so vague in his answers.

Drumanchor 3 months ago

Heard the newly appointed head of Sportsnet on Prime Time yesterday. Nonstop executive babble-gab.

• comment-avatar

Ashley Docking is a great addition to the FAN morning program. I enjoyed listening to her when she was substituting (trying out) on other shows. I’d disagree with the Brady show being characterized as a ‘train wreck’ given it already is much more listened to than the feeble competition. Docking certainly picked the right employer given TSN1050 in the 2018 fall ratings finished dead last again in Toronto in both AMA and Share.

I echo support for Don Cherry. Don, remarkably on the ball for his age, has vast experience and still presents a fresh point of view. Whom would you replace him with? Another vanilla flavored talking head? When Rogers reduced his air time, the outrage was loud and clear with little complaining when Rogers restored the full Don and Ron show. Don Cherry is a national treasure.

Nobody does baseball better than Jeff Blair even though the team will be crap this year with dumpster diving player signings and a terrible management team. The Cleveland duo may find themselves back home sooner than expected when attendance and ratings tank so badly that Rogers is forced to make a change.

On Marcus Stroman, the statements that “Stroman is one of us” and “He embodies Toronto” are way off the mark. The guy is a first class jerk, just out for himself. I doubt if the diminutive pitcher has any real interest in Toronto except to collect his pay which is certainly overly generous given his inconsistent record over the past few years. The way I look at it, Stroman insults Toronto every time he opens his mouth or pitches. Let’s boo him out of town!

If the FAN590’s talent was ranked in order of performance, I’d go with Blair first and McCown second.

Glad to see more new articles on this site!

Chance Vought 3 months ago

Suggestion for PTS producers: Carly Argo should replace John Shannon.

Stephen 2 months ago

Just came over from the weather channel, seems there is a Greg “Tsunami” Brady alert being issued by the CRTC. People in the sports media, particularity radio, are being asked to take their careers to higher ground rather then take the risk of working with “Tsunami” Brady and being killed. Here is the offical warning issued by the CRTC via the weather channel: “Attention, we have forecasted a “Tsunami” Brady for 2019 and beyond. Anyone attempting to forge a broadcasting career with “Tsunami” Brady is at a high rish of being killed.”

David 1 month ago

Cherry is past his best before date, he has had a great run but all good things must come to an end. In Don’s case it’s been about two seasons too long, the game has changed around him and he doesn’t represent the path forward, at all.
    Who to replace him with? Easy answer in my view…Brian Burke. Straight talk, incredible knowledge of the game from top to bottom, high level of intelligence and perspective, won’t be wearing clown suits.