The Athletic Looks to Disrupt Podcasting

The Athletic Looks to Disrupt Podcasting

by mike in boston / @mikeinbostonemail

After posting several jobs on their hiring website over the past several months The Athletic has officially unveiled their new suite of podcasts. These will be exclusively available to subscribers, and can only be accessed through their app or website rather than through the podcast apps built in to mobile devices running on software from Apple or Google.

In addition to newly acquired podcasts, The Athletic will also be moving their existing local podcasts behind the paywall. So, if you’re a regular listener to Eric Koreen’s Raptors podcast or James Mirtle’s Leafs podcast then you’ll need to both subscribe and download the app to keep the good times rolling while on the go. (If you’re a fan of the 5th Deck podcast then you’re out of luck either way).

The “featured” shows include:

• The Daily Ding with Dave Dufour, Big Wos, Travonne Edwards, and Zach Harper  (NBA)
  • The Opener with Jonah Keri (MLB)
  • The Breakout with Julie Stewart-Binks, Billy Jaffe, Craig Custance (NHL)
  • Birds All Day with Andrew Stoeten, Drew Fairservice (MLB)
  • Rates and Barrels with Eno Sarris, Derek Van Riper (Fantasy)
  • Warriors Plus-Minus with Marcus Thompson, Tim Kawakami (NBA)
  • Starkville with Jayson Stark and Doug Glanville (MLB)

This is a mix of established podcasts that could previously be heard for free (some with ads) and new offerings from writers and personalities already on The Athletic’s roster.

According to their press release this is part of hybrid strategy to expand into both the national and local podcasting markets. As we wrote about earlier this year, there is gold in the podcasting hills as advertisers see the value in being able to market directly to a defined user group. Here is a quote from The Athletic HQ:

“The Athletic is uniquely positioned to bring professional polish to local podcasts given our subscriber base and business model. Advertising dollars and local podcasts haven’t gone hand-in-hand, given local’s naturally smaller audiences. “ – Alex Mather, CEO and founder of The Athletic.

Interestingly, the company wants to move away from the longform format of many weekly podcasts, saying that “most podcasts will range from 15-40 minutes long.” This mirrors what you might expect from a segment or hour of traditional radio programming,  once the commercials have been removed. On Twitter, co-founder Alex Mather expanded on his vision:

The idea that The Athletic can offer a “premium” local audio product is intriguing. Arguably already can get that kind of product on local sports talk stations from radio professionals. FAN590 and (to a lesser extent) TSN1050 produce hours and hours of daily analysis and discussion on the Leafs/Raps/Jays, as well as TFC and Argos in smaller doses.

This seems like exactly the kind of established business model that The Athletic aims to disrupt. And fans who want independent local audio coverage should be rejoicing, since the companies that own the teams also own the TSN and Sportsnet radio networks. If The Athletic will be churning out daily or semi-daily podcasts then radio listeners might be tempted to make the switch. The marketplace is very crowded and there are only so many hours in the day that can be devoted to the audio format so there is an element of zero-sum economics at work here. Every converted or retained podcast listener is one fewer for the competition.

The biggest challenge for their strategy will be changing the habits of radio listeners. They have opted to bring all their podcasts inside their app, which means listeners who drive will need to download it to their mobile devices and then stream it to their cars. Newer vehicles offer integration with Android and Apple, and this will provide a technical disincentive to the much simpler option of just flipping on the radio or streaming something that is already in a synced-up playlist. It’s possible that future operating system updates will allow seamless integration with The Athletic’s app. This probably won’t be an issue for listeners using headphones or listening at home.

This announcement comes at a time when Sportsnet and TSN have both invested heavily in branded podcasts beyond their radio shows. Sportsnet recently brought Amil Delic over from CBC to run some of their premium podcasts, and the difference is noticeable. At the same time, Sportsnet has recently branched out into branded video content, in part to provide smaller bite-sized chunks of its podcasts. I’m not sure this pivot to video adds much value.

The Athletic “has well over 100,000 paid subscribers,” of which “tens of thousands” are in Canada according to previous statements. Toronto was one of their signature early additions and are again featured as one of the launch markets for the new podcasting venture, along with the Bay area. A yearly subscription to The Athletic costs $72 CDN but can be had for between $29-$50 CDN depending on promotions available for new customers or retention offers.

Over to you:

1. If you’re not a subscriber, will paywalling their podcasts get you to sign up?
  2. If you are a subscriber, do you listen to any of their current podcasts?
  3. If you’re a car commuter, do you want more daily podcasts on the Jays/Raps/Leafs or are you happy to listen to 590/1050?

thanks for reading and commenting,

until next time …

mike (not really in boston)

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 14
  • comment-avatar

Are there still advertisements if one subscribes to the apps/podcasts?

• comment-avatar
    Chance Vought 8 months ago

For the love of Cole, could someone give Richard Deitsch a thesaurus? No one should say “fascinating” and “interesting” so dang often.

Original Mitch 8 months ago

Does the Athletic make money? Or are they like Uber and others who are in the red, never turn a profit, but keep operating and growing in the hopes of one day being in the black. I ask because it seems that this is what lot of these companies do, try to expand quickly, burn through all the capital, get new investors/loans, keep expanding hoping to land that giant investor or go public. 99 percent fail at this of course, but its the road to take. Making your “talent” do podcast is a great way to get more use out of them without paying them more and a great way for the Athletic to expand their portfolio.

• comment-avatar

When I saw The Athletic’s podcast announcement earlier today, I was wondering why I couldn’t find a couple of them on Apple podcasts. Didn’t realize they’re behind the paywall. I’m an enthusiastic Athletic subscriber but It’ll be a little annoying to have to listen through The Athletic’s own app – much easier to have all your podcasts in one place. I wish there was a way for them them to be in Apple podcasts but password-protected so only Athletic subscribers can download/subscribe.

TorontoSportsNut 8 months ago

I’m a subscriber and a listener to the leaf report. Having to go into a separate app to listen to a 15-40 min podcast is clunky. Too many others out there that will pop up in my apple feed. This will just get lost. The sound quality better as it’s been horrible. Also a more consistent release and guests.

• comment-avatar

I am not a subscriber, but I do pay on Patreon for premium episodes of certain other podcasts. The comedy podcasts I listen to through that setup are way lower-budget than what the Athletic does, and yet they’re able to provide me with a locked RSS feed that works with any podcasting app, which I only have access to if I pay the monthly donation at Patreon. Weird that the Athletic can’t sort out some kind of system like that.

• comment-avatar

Agree that it would be nice to listen to these podcasts on other players.

Having said that – I think it’s an interesting endeavour on their part. I’ve listened to Birds All Day for years and I’m happy to keep doing so here. I’ll give the Raptors one they’ve got a try too.

It’s crazy in the past few years how much more I’ve started listening to sports podcasts and how much less I listen to over the air sports radio.

• comment-avatar

Podcasts are not downloadable from either the app or website, unlike ITunes or SoundClound.

Muskokaboy 8 months ago

Not sure how they relay all their analytic charts to a podcast to let us know if a player is good on Monday games when the sun rises between 6-7am and a game time temperature of 3-8 degrees when there is a single lane closed on the DVP between Yonge/Bay and Jamison… I guess we’ll see

Subscriber and never listened to one of their podcasts

Original Mitch 8 months ago

Correct me if I’m wrong but I feel like whenever there’s a post about something Athletic related on here it doesn’t get much traction. Is this indicative of an older reading audience on here or is it more about Athletic being so new that it’s more splash than substance?

Steve 8 months ago

I subscribe to The Athletic but I won’t be using their app to listen to podcasts. It’s barebones, doesn’t have any of the features a specialty podcatcher app does, and I have no want to switch back and forth between apps when I can just queue everything up in one app. If other subscriber-only podcasts can provide an RSS feed, so should The Athletic. Not like they are serving ads up in the app so nothing to lose there.

Also, I would challenge the notion what they are making are podcasts. Podcasts are defined are widely available, free audio shows. The Athletic’s are neither.

@originalmitch

I think it’s because it’s not free. I’m sure those who like the athletic like it a lot. But when there are thousands of free options, there are bound to be a smaller audience paying for the product. Age may be a factor as you suggested, probably because younger people without kids or mortgages have more disposable income to waste on this. When I was younger I spent way too much money on DVDs and CDs. If I could go back in time I would tell my younger self, all this shit will be available on the net soon save your money.

Just my 2 cents

Mark Coale 8 months ago

Seems like 45-60 m per pod is more like the standard duration than not. I know that’s my preferred target when doing our show. I have dropped many pods that are under 30 minutes as they don’t seem worth the effort.

Don’t currently listen to any of their pods, although I am a subscriber.

• comment-avatar

I am a Podcast beast listening to 2-3  hours a day most often at 1.5 x while I’m on the road, mostly business related. Once you get used to 1.5 x, most people at 1x speed sound intoxicated. There is a ton of quality content about almost any subject you can think of.

I’ve been getting increasingly frustrated with the default Podcast app on iphone, I found alternatives. For instance, Overcast goes up to 3x speed (bizarre if anyone other than JD Bunkis can handle that). But it also has a function to eliminate pauses in speech as well as increase the volume automatically in instances where one person’s audio is loud and the other you can barely hear. One app will tell you how many minutes you saved by eliminating pauses. You can also send someone just a clip of a Pod.  Just search Youtube for reviews. There are 5 or 6 options. I find that since Steve Jobs died, the apple has slowly been turning brown.

For subscriber based anything, will be interesting to see how the media evolves with looming Web 3.0. Imagine a web with nearly non-existent paywalls. Users get paid for their browsing data rather than the data being sucked up for free by the pimps at Google, Facebook, Linkedin, Youtube (nearly free). Then the earnings are used to pay content providers. This ‘machine’ will run in the background all the time. Imagine paying for Netflix by the second or a NY Times article by the word. Will take time but the seed is there and it’s growing. Data is larger than the oil business. If you had some oil spout up in your back yard, would you give it to Esso for free?