Sportsnet’s Joey Vendetta Sounds Off

by mike in boston / @mikeinbostonemail

Quick post here just so we have it on the record. Joey Vendetta tweeted early on Canada Day that those who don’t like the country should find somewhere else to live.

Vendetta, also known as Joey Scoleri, hosts a Saturday afternoon show on FAN590, and has served as a fill in host across the line-up for a number of years. He is also the Head of Industry Relations at Live Nation Canada.

His tweet prompted a significant response from others in sports media, notably none of them from Rogers. (see comments below: both Donnovan Bennett and JD Bunkis spoke up).

A day later Vendetta posted an apology on twitter before closing his account.

These remarks come one day after Rogers radio dedicated programming to amplifying Indigenous voices in the wake of the discovery of unmarked graves at residential school sites.

These comments also follow Don Cherry’s now infamous “you people” commentary on Hockey Night in Canada, which ultimately led to his dismissal (for refusing to apologize) by Rogers. Vendetta was scheduled to host his radio show today (Saturday July 3rd) but it has been replaced by syndicated CBS content.

TSM has reached out to Sportsnet management for comment on the situation, and we will update this story if and when they reply.

Comments are open and we encourage civil dialogue on the topic.

thanks for reading and commenting,

until next time …

mike (not really in boston)

mitch
mitch
July 3, 2021 1:42 pm

so long, farewell

Anon
Anon
July 3, 2021 1:52 pm
Justin
Justin
July 3, 2021 3:25 pm

I’m not a fan of the “move elsewhere” rhetoric but I understand why Vendetta made the comment. The level of anti-Canada vitriol and shaming on social media over the past week has been over-the-top. That’s not to say that people’s concerns should be dismissed; our dark history with residential schools is well-documented and rightfully so. However, the idea that we should “cancel” Canada Day or turn a celebratory holiday into a national day of sorrow and self-disdain is completely insane. I think that’s what Vendetta was attempting to express, which is fine. It’s the crass use of “move elsewhere” that’s an issue.

Ultimtely it’s just twitter; Vendetta would do well to make a clarifying comment and move on.

FWIW
FWIW
July 3, 2021 3:41 pm

FWIW, both Donovan Bennett and JD Bunkis from Rogers both responded to Vendetta’s initial tweet sharing their criticisms of his words.

Tim C
Tim C
July 3, 2021 5:41 pm

When I see a comment or a reply from John Lu I always feel it requires serious consideration and thought. “So what is he complaining about now” always precedes reading any reply from Bruce Arthur. Amazing how one person immediately commands respect for his ideas, while the other garners a “what now” line of thinking, especially  so in this Twitter thread when they are both on the same side of the issue. Bruce is clearly trending into Damien Cox territory.

MontfromLondonOnt
MontfromLondonOnt
July 3, 2021 7:50 pm

What exactly did he say that was incorrect – It was his opinion right or wrong –

Slim Whitman
Slim Whitman
July 4, 2021 1:55 am

Maybe Mr Scoleri got into the sauce for the holiday, and I don’t mean BBQ sauce.

Mitch
Mitch
July 4, 2021 7:34 am

Test

Mitch
Mitch
July 4, 2021 9:36 am

PS Nobody has heard of or cares what JD Bunkis thinks or has said.

Sam
Sam
July 4, 2021 10:26 am

I love Canada, warts and all. But I do laugh at those who claim it is a worthless and shitty country because of its past and that that somehow makes it a bad place to live. Like, sit down fool. I doubt such people know what it’s like to really live in a shitty country.

Zebb
Zebb
July 4, 2021 11:29 am

Justin – the tweet doesn’t reflect what you say he was “attempting to express”. It’s very clear what he said – a classic love it or leave it message. There is no need to consider what he intended to say when he was so obvious and direct.

You aren’t a fan of “move elsewhere” but you go to great lengths to defend him.

James
James
July 4, 2021 4:14 pm

How authoritarian societys start. The actual free speech people had continues to be decreased. Hate speech is wrong, freedom of thought and opinion is not. If you have never lived anywhere else and have been a privileged Canadian your entire life how would one know how good they truly have it. Easy to be righteous when you don’t have to run from missles and terrorist’s.

Robert A
Robert A
July 4, 2021 10:15 pm

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye.

Good luck finding a new job. Maybe some right wing network will have something for you.

Eric L.
Eric L.
July 5, 2021 5:21 pm

Whistleblower exposing welfare fraud by immigrants: 👍👍👍
Whistleblower exposing genocide of indigenous children: Get of Canada.

Kyle
Kyle
July 5, 2021 9:41 pm

Have you reached out to Live Nation for a comment? Curious to know what they have to say about what their head of industry relations said.

Daniel M
Daniel M
July 6, 2021 8:46 am

I feel this is really a 2 part discussion, and the biggest problem is that this should be a discussion, not a 1 sentence statement

1) The statement Joey V made is intellectually lazy at best, and downright unintelligent at worst. It never applies in reality. Don’t like something about your job? Quit. Don’t like something about your spouse? Leave. The truth is: if you don’t like something about ______ then work to make it better, which I feel is what the majority of Canadians try to do in relation to perceived problems with race, gender ect. So it’s a dumb argument espoused by the unintelligent in an attempt to both to seem intelligent and win an argument quickly

2) Barack Obama said this about cancel culture: There is this sense sometimes of: The way of me making change is to be as judgmental as possible about other people and that’s enough. Like, if I tweet or hashtag about how you didn’t do something right or used the wrong verb then I can sit back and feel pretty good about myself, cause, Man, you see how woke I was, I called you out. That’s not activism. That’s not bringing about change. If all you’re doing is casting stones, you’re probably not going to get that far. That’s easy to do.

So let’s think about the individuals making these statements and instead of yelling CANCELLED at them until they leave, have a conversation, change their mind, or at least get them to consider your opinion.

Miguel Cercone
Miguel Cercone
July 8, 2021 5:33 pm

Good grief.

Gentleman, I have been reading this TSM site for years and absolutely love all of the comments and commentary. In all honesty, I mostly come here to watch people pick apart both the radio hosts I grew up enjoying and the ones I currently despise. It is a special brand of perverse voyeurism – I know – but I consider reading this site from the comfort of my home to be one of my most worthwhile guilty pleasures. For some reason, it’s fun for me to hear people with a shared frame of reference comment intelligently on the state of our radio hosts and their overall quality.

Recently, however, the puritanical expectations many of us seem to have for the objects of our ire/affection seem to have been raised to an impossible standard for the average media personality to meet. Only the most benign and inhibited corporate “yes-men” can thrive in this kind of white-washed environment and only the most consensus reinforcing voices can succeed. While I disagree completely with the opinions put forward by Joey Vendetta, I lament the fact that there is no longer any room for his type of unsanctioned (and quite possibly uneducated) dissent. Sometimes I wonder what type of a world we are trying to create here and why we feel the need to create it by force.

Do we want a media landscape in which only those who are in complete lockstep with corporate opinions matter? Who will be the type of media personnel left standing when all of this politically-correct dust settles and what range of opinions will they be able (allowed?) to espouse? Do our most successful talking heads even believe in what are saying anymore or have they simply figured out that all of their financial/career incentives seem to be moving in a certain direction? There’s a lesson to be learned for careerists from the example of Don Cherry. There’s a lesson to be learned if you go the way of Joey V.

Personally, I think its unhealthy when most of the rewards for our most respected opinion leaders seem to be running the same way. If the talking heads say what their corporations want – they will be lauded, promoted or rewarded. They might even get to walk away with a book deal or a special award. If they go off book, however, and draw fire from social media – then they just might have to pay for their transgressions with their livelihoods. Half-hearted apologies in exceedingly embarrassing public forums don’t seem to be enough anymore. It’s blood we seem to be after, or at the very least – public humiliation followed by prison.

I don’t agree with much of what Joey V. thinks and I’ve felt for over a decade that he is a terrible broadcaster, but at the very least – I think he has earned the right to his opinion. What he has said is really not all that controversial – It is a strawman’s argument to compare his comments to those of 19th century white supremacists. There’s simply nothing that he said that he needs to apologize for, simply because I disagree with him. And I’m sad to hear that a really awful broadcaster has lost his job over a really stupid reason.

At the end of the day, I just don’t believe that this is what those who believe in free speech are all about. This type of shaming is about control, and its odd that it is corporate sanctioned. I sincerely hope that Joey lands on his feet somewhere, even though I hate his opinions, his schtick and his overall routine. End of rant and I’m sorry for intruding. Godspeed everyone.

Liberty Village Bob
Liberty Village Bob
July 9, 2021 9:16 am

Great comment Miguel Cercone. Well said and thanks for having the courage to say it.

MontfromLondonOnt
MontfromLondonOnt
July 9, 2021 10:29 am

Miguel Cercone – Well done – Basically what I said/feel in a more detailed post – Thanks

Drumanchor
Drumanchor
July 9, 2021 10:44 am

Very well said, Miguel.

Like you, I have been following this site for many years and for likely the very same reasons you have. What was once entertaining and informative is now, basically, a shaming site. Generally it is either about someone’s behaviour or a lack of diversity in hiring at a media company, it seems. Of course they are often valid points, but it’s the zeal in which both Jonah and MIB express these views that have made this site less fun than it once was.

Anthony
Anthony
July 9, 2021 11:23 pm

The “Twitter” people are the kind of people able to act tough only behind a screen. They used to be the uncool guys in high school. Now that they grew up they seek justice for everything, even for random shit like this. Woke people are weak people in the first life. Joey is a multimillionaire guy who had a hell of a life. He had a podcast for fun. Now guys go back at barely making 6 figures and having a shitty life.

Mike V
Mike V
July 10, 2021 12:06 pm

Oh my, the whining on this thread about basic consequences coming to a mediocre radio talent in a marginal and inconsequential time slot. How do you people actually live in the world?

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
July 10, 2021 1:54 pm

Here’s the thing. Vendetta made a comment that was ill timed, hurtful and frankly abysmally uncaring. If you want to decry the outrage that’s your business. But save me the political correctness bullshit. Anyone who wants to pull out that canard is just devoid of any better rationalization for their contempt for people wanting society to be a bit more fair.

Zebb
Zebb
July 12, 2021 10:29 am

With McGuire and Ferraro now off TEN radio hits, that is going to leave some huge holes in programming.

McGuire was basically the only regular guest on TSN 1200 mornings in Ottawa, appearing daily.

Mitch Melnick on 690 in Montreal loses 8 weekly hits (McGuire 5, Ferraro 3), all during the 5-6 hour.

Those two were both good at their hits. Guys like Dreger and LeBrun just don’t measure up, despite being informed.

Gary M
Gary M
July 23, 2021 1:24 am

Mike In Boston, I did notice your lack of editorializing. You handle stuff great, imo, pretty much every time out.

Warren Clayton
Warren Clayton
July 30, 2021 8:43 am

A couple of big radio stories the last few days. Radio for the Jays is back – and not a moment too soon. Even if it is Ben Wagner doing it alone on a shoestring, it’ll be a big improvement over the travesty so far this year.

And Landsberg leaving TSN Radio. Wonder if they’ll leave Colliacivo to go solo, lol. That’d fit right into the radio cost-cutting landscape we have been seeing in the last year or more.